• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

arb air locker question

nova98xj

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a stupid question, but I've done plenty of searching and cannot come across an answer. Awhile ago i bought an ARB air locker for the dana 30 off of a friend who had the same gearing as me (3.55 gearing). I'm trying to figure out exactly which locker it is from the factory. They offer two differnt options: the RD100 which is said to be 3.73 and up, and then the RD101 which is for 3.54 and down. He had his in with 3.55 gearing, so I am not which category it fits in.

I know I shouldn't be worrying about the specs b/c him and I have the same gearing and it worked fine on his, but a guy with 4.11 gears is interested in buying it from me (talk about the town bicycle getting around :D) and we are unsure if it will fit his. Thanks in advanced for any help.

Look here:

http://www.drivetrain.com/dana44.html

Looks like the carrier break is at 3.73, meaning 3.73 and lower (numerically) uses the same carrier, and 3.92 and higher (numerically) uses a different carrier. Given that, your buddy would need a different unit for 4.10 gears if your ARB is for 3.55 gears.

also, call ARB with the serial number to make sure it isn't an older RD30 so when you buy replacement parts for it, you get the right stuff.

you can also see if they make thick 4.11 gears for the Dana 30, that would allow him to run with the "smaller" carrier

Back