• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Wiring Burning Up

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
fgjbrnwejltwbfkdsgnrbgkja,sbdkjf

Replaced fuel pump a few weeks ago.

Stopped working the next morning.

Wiring from the positive terminal to the positive on the fuel pump(in the tank, about a 4" piece of wire) burned up. It was caused by a short, and it was my fault. Replaced that piece of wire and thought all was good.

Drove it around for the evening and to work the next morning.

Burned up when I went to leave work that day.

This time, there was no install error, and the exterior(outside the gas tank) ground wire burned up, along with the interior(in the gas tank) power wire(the one that burned up before).

Replaced the power wire with nice thick wire, and created a new ground and replaced the ground wire.

Drove it around for the past week and half(burned up about a tank of gas) with absolutely no issue. Figured all was good.

I was driving it tonight, and stepped on it to get through a yellow light :O

Poof, no more fuel pump.

I'm guessing the new pump is pulling too much power?

So I left my pos jeep and walked home, and here I sit.

Any fricken ideas? I'm so fed up with this.

ddeadserious said:
fgjbrnwejltwbfkdsgnrbgkja,sbdkjf

Replaced fuel pump a few weeks ago.

Stopped working the next morning.

Wiring from the positive terminal to the positive on the fuel pump(in the tank, about a 4" piece of wire) burned up. It was caused by a short, and it was my fault. Replaced that piece of wire and thought all was good.

Drove it around for the evening and to work the next morning.

Burned up when I went to leave work that day.

This time, there was no install error, and the exterior(outside the gas tank) ground wire burned up, along with the interior(in the gas tank) power wire(the one that burned up before).

Replaced the power wire with nice thick wire, and created a new ground and replaced the ground wire.

Drove it around for the past week and half(burned up about a tank of gas) with absolutely no issue. Figured all was good.

I was driving it tonight, and stepped on it to get through a yellow light :O

Poof, no more fuel pump.

I'm guessing the new pump is pulling too much power?

So I left my pos jeep and walked home, and here I sit.

Any fricken ideas? I'm so fed up with this.
I can honestly say I've always escaped doing fuel pumps when the time has come. My '90 just kept on waiting and my '99 finally seems to have cleared itself up. Having stated that I have no experience with replacing one, judging from your symptoms, it sounds like it's a faulty pump and most likely has been all along. You might post up year so people other than me know if there's a common problem for your year about pumps burning the wiring up. Is it aftermarket and if so what brand?

My suggestion, sense it sounds like no other opperations have been affected and its only your fuel pump check wairing all the way back to the fuse block.

What it sounds like is the short is alomst in a sense being switched off and on. And the only thing in that system that could possably be switched ( in a sense) is the fuel pump relay.

But I would start by cleaning and closely inspecting all the wireing and make sure theres no shorts anywhere.

Also dont stop at the relay it could be the wires at the bottom of the fuse block. Should be under your hood on the passanger side. Another common place for failure is the weather pack connecter about a foot and half out side of the fuel tank. should be mounted just above your rear axel.

Simple relay test just pull one out of the AC and put it int he fuel spot and drive see if it fixes it. If so buy new relay.

Thats what I would do. Its very obvious theres a short in that line somewhere.

If that doesnt fix the problem then yes get another fuel pump.
Its not uncommon for new parts to be bad off the shelf.

Parts bounce around alot during shipping.

Adam

Alrighty then.

The fuel pump stock wiring has been bypassed by the previous owner. If the wiring burns up again, I'll start with that. There's also a 10A inline kill switch that hasn't burned up.

thanks for your help/suggestions.

The Engine Control Fuse 1 in the PDC blew. Again. For the second time in 2 months.

Now we're moving to figure out why this fuse is blowing. Any ideas?

ddeadserious said:
Alrighty then.

The fuel pump stock wiring has been bypassed by the previous owner. If the wiring burns up again, I'll start with that. There's also a 10A inline kill switch that hasn't burned up.

thanks for your help/suggestions.

The Engine Control Fuse 1 in the PDC blew. Again. For the second time in 2 months.

Now we're moving to figure out why this fuse is blowing. Any ideas?

Your having a surge in the line somewhere. My guess would be a bad ground if the fuse keeps poping like that. And certainly if the last owner had ran a jumper to the fuel pump theres no telling what else he might have done.

I would pick up a book chilton or haynes if you dont alreayd have one and go through the wiring scimatics and just double check all the wires in the jeep. Seems like alot of work and it is but imagine the amount of time youll be saving and money not having to fix everything.

But first check the ground to the fuse block. Even sometimes the block its self is bad. Check all the grounds.

Back