• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goodburbon's hydrogen experiment

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
This thread will be for tracking the progress of my electrolysis cell experiment.

Report 1

Vehicle is a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine. Engine is running synthetic blend oil and consumes about a quart a month via various leaks. The car currently has an ignition problem of some sort (dies randomly and immeadately restarts) and is hard to start cold ( it will die repeatedly unless revved). Other than those 2 problems the car runs well and gets from 25 mpg city to 31 mpg Highway. Average mpg is around 27.5, the car has never gotten over 31 mpg and never gotten under 25 mpg.

I drive it like I stole it and will continue to do so.

here are a few photos of my setup.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

insanity said:
Are you going to swap out the fome for something more durable?

In the event that this thing works and is worth me putting more time and effort/money into, yes.

I am very skeptical about this whole theory and until I see proven results it is bunk.

goodburbon said:
In the event that this thing works and is worth me putting more time and effort/money into, yes.

I am very skeptical about this whole theory and until I see proven results it is bunk.

I am still skeptical as well half of me think it is working the other half thinks its just from leaning out the air fuel mix. I wanted to do it my self just to see what results I can come up with.

So post up all you can gather from it its about time somone really nitpicks the system.

By the way, the whole thing was purchased at lowes for around 30 dollars.

The plates are standard stainless steel single gang box plate covers (yes I removed the plastic coating). I tested the cell tonight and it puts out a very respectable amount of gas. Driving tests commence tomorrow.

DSC_0007.jpg

The foam keeps the plates stationary in the cell, and keeps them spaced properly.

Last edited:
GSequoia said:
I predict like 40,000% increase in mpg's!!!!

(Pet Peeve # 4,287, people who think that "mpg" can replace "fuel economy" or "mileage" in any situation.)

I don't believe it will work either. I should have some "results" in a few weeks.

goodburbon said:
I don't believe it will work either. I should have some "results" in a few weeks.

I know you don't. :cheers:

Just remember to drive the same! A lot of people think fuel savors work because their "control" mileage is them driving like a bat out of hell while their test conditions are driving like my grandmother.

How much water and sodium bicarbonate did you add?

And my compliments on your design! I like the side taps, lid / seal, styrofoam, the whole thing, simple, functional, low cost.

Do you have a defoamer, bubbler, antiflash back, secondary water container on it of any kind?

I would be concerned about excessive bubbling / foaming under vacuum in the generator pulling liquid water and sodium bicarbonate into the vacuum hose. A small diameter (2" maybe), long (tall, 12" maybe) bubbler tube with a few inches of pure DI water and maybe 12" of gas space on top as a scrubber should stop that.

One other note, it looks like the copper wire connection is under water in your last photo, if it is you will want to coat it so the copper does not corrode or disolve in the water. It would be better to have the wire contacts above the water line, but you probably already know that. And if you have not already done so, be sure and seal those wire through holes in the side so freash air can not get in.

Once again, my compliments to fabrication & design skills, I like what I see. I like the wires entering the side instead of through the lid, I like the way you used the foam, that stuff is perfect for this application, and I like the top seal.

Glad to see this is finally gonna be put to rest here one way or another. Thanks for taking the time and spending the money Goodburbon.

Yes the copper is underwater. Yes I expect the copper to go away quicker than the stainless, unfortunately since I was lazy and trying to get the cell operational I ignored a few of the ground rules and there is currently no way for me to keep the copper out of the water without uncovering the tops of the plates since I used the stock holes in those plates. Ideally I would pound them flat and hold them from the edges using some sheet foam. then make extensions to keep the copper connections out of the water. The unit should survive a few hundred miles of trial, and if not I will adjust it.

all penetrations are sealed with silicone.

7 cups of water and one tablespoon of sodium bicarb in the first load.

As of now it's a dirty prototype. no bubbler, no anti flashback and no secondary container. I had thought of pulling the hydrogen through antifreeze to dry it and isolate it. A primitive glycol contactor if you will.

interesting

In that case I would cover the exposed copper right away with a good silicone water pump sealant. The cured silcone will not react and will protect the copper, and keep the copper from disolving and precipitating all your carbonate as copper carbonate sludge, which is highly insoluble, and would reduce you electrolyte conductivity during the tests. The nickel and chrome in stainless are much harder to disolve.

Ecomike said:
In that case I would cover the exposed copper right away with a good silicone water pump sealant. The cured silcone will not react and will protect the copper, and keep the copper from disolving and precipitating all your carbonate as copper carbonate sludge, which is highly insoluble, and would reduce you electrolyte conductivity during the tests. The nickel and chrome in stainless are much harder to disolve.

Good thinking, Noted and will do this pm.

GSequoia said:
A lot of people think fuel savors work because their "control" mileage is them driving like a bat out of hell while their test conditions are driving like my grandmother.

My grandmother has more speeding tickets than anyone can count, refuses to wear her seatbelt and drives like a bat out of hell everywhere she goes.

You must've got a defective one :D

-I also thank you Goodburbon. I've been hearing about this kit for some time now and wanted to bring it to real people with actual knowledge of mechanincs and the average capabilities of their own vehicles. If it doesn't work I won't be too suprised...I guess you will be part of what is extremely hard to find on the internet- a privately funded, non associated experiment with honest results. Good luck -Josh

Back