• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap HELP!

rowley65flip

NAXJA Forum User
so i have an 87 xj that had a 2.5 in it. i pulled a 4.0 out of a 97 and am swappin it in. I swapped the bell housing on the trans, the brackets that hold the motor mounts and today i went to put it in and i found a problem. i have about an inch until the motor hits the BH and about 3 inches until the motor mounts line up. what would cause this? Im using the AW4 that came in the 87 by the way.

if i recall there are 8 holes in wich the crossmember can be bolted and i am pretty sure with the 4cyl the crossmember is in differend holes than when used with the 6cyl i am not sure if that is your problem but that would be where i woud start mount the engine then the trans to the engine then mess with the tranny

if its a late 87 and up than you dont have to worry about the firewall because thats the first year they started putting in the 4.0's. So if your name is right and you have an 85xj you gotta pound out the firewall with a BFH. i also just swapped over the frame horns (I think thats what they are called, they bolt to the motor mounts) because they are different on the 4.0's. I might have to do something with the rear driveshaft because of the way the trans sits now but im not sure yet (it might be longer of shorter).

Back