• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer 8.8 stuff

Love2Ride450

NAXJA Forum User
I know it's been covered and I'm hasta but it's difficult to get a clean search for 8.8 stuff since it's not a long enough search term. I end up with "88 xj wiring woes" and that sort of thing. I am seriously considering doing the swap, but having a hard time finding what I think is a good deal on a used 8.8. I found one for $475 with ls and 4.10's. It's already pulled and ready to be Jeepified. Is that too much??? I have an 85 XJ with a swapped in 4.0 and AX-15/NP231 (I think it's a 231???) from a 93 Sport. Have any of you guys successfully installed an 8.8 in a similarly equipped xj and not used a SYE/ CV shaft? Is the AX-15 longer or shorter than the AW4?

from readin on here, thats way too much.
my local wreckers, thats a killer deal, but local guys here are dumb as dirt.

you should be able to pull your own for about $250 it seems, again from past reading on here.

search "8.8 swap"

as prices are going to vary across the country, I think your question might be better asked in the PNW chapter forum... :)

XJ_ranger said:
as prices are going to vary across the country, I think your question might be better asked in the PNW chapter forum... :)

Yeah, seeing as how I can get an 8.8, D60, D44, etc etc for 80 bucks drum to drum at the local Pick 'N Pull :p

I paid $400 for mine... 4.10's, discs, lsd, but it already had the tubes welded and the xj brackets on it

What I'd like to know is what the difference is between a V8 Explorer 8.8 and a V6 one. I heard there is no difference but there has to be a reason one is around $250 and the other is over $500 around here. Also on car-part.com they ask if it is V8 or V6, so there must be a difference, What is it?

I believe that the engine size doesn't matter as long as it's from an Exploder. I just pulled one from a '96 for $180.

There is no difference between the v6 and v8 axles. I got mine from a 2000 explorer with a v6 for $250. i think your best bet is to look on craigslist for someone that is parting out an explorer. The junkyards around here want $500. Just be patient unless you really need it now (my rear axle got smashed by a little red civic square in the right rear wheel, and needless to say, good bye d35) You can get them for cheaper if you troll craigslist :geek:

Yeah, I know, be patient. I am not a patient person, and I have been considering this back and forth for at least a year. I have been searching craigslist religiously, and the problem is, I live in a small town that is about 80-100 miles away from anything big. I called a friend of mine, and he works at a salvage yard. He found me one for 375 but it's 160 miles away, and they want 100 to ship it. He has one on his yard that I could get for 100, but it's a open 3.73. I am thinking about pulling it, buying a track lock from ebay +/-$100, and a used gear set on ebay +/-$75. (Ford Racing, 5-6k miles) I work at a NAPA, so I can get the rebuild kit for around $85. Then I'd be in it for 360 plus all of my time. Maybe I can get him to almost give me that axle... like $50. Even then I'd still be in it 310..... AAAaaarghhh.
Anybody run 8 3/4 chryslers? I may be able to get my hands on one of those.....

I saw at least 2 disc brake 8.8s from exploders in the local yard(u-pull type) and they are something like $90 complete. I got my xj44 for that price about a year ago so I would try and go that route if you can

I got my 8.8 for $68 tax and all. 4.10s, LSD, discs, complete rotor to rotor. You need to find some sort of a yard where you can go pull the parts yourself and they have set pricing on things. Like mentioned earlier, ask around in the PNW chapter forum. Those guys should know where to find one for cheap.

Best price I could find locally was $300.
1999 v6 w/ 4.10's & trac-lok

car-part.com

jeep003.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1849.jpg

So I just double checked, I do have a 231 t-case. I am still curious if anybody has experience with the ax-15/231 and a 8.8. I need to know if I will HAVE to do a sye/cv drive shaft. I am running about 4.5" lift and currently have no vibes. I am running 3.07 gears now. Thanks for the input!

Nice looking work. :thumbup:

Luv2ride--
If you are patient around here you can find the axles for $150 at Pic n Pull or on Craigslist, if no patience you can go to car-part.com and find them all day long for $350.00 and sometimes as low as $250. Just sort by distance from your zip code. i looked up Roseburg's zip and did a search There is one in Eugene-- here Pick A Part, Eugene - PAR Member 1-800-439-3061 for $350.00. 4.10 ratio too...

vegas_baja said:
Best price I could find locally was $300.
1999 v6 w/ 4.10's & trac-lok

car-part.com

jeep003.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1849.jpg

Love2Ride450 said:
So I just double checked, I do have a 231 t-case. I am still curious if anybody has experience with the ax-15/231 and a 8.8. I need to know if I will HAVE to do a sye/cv drive shaft. I am running about 4.5" lift and currently have no vibes. I am running 3.07 gears now. Thanks for the input!

I run an ax-15/np231 and 8.8. I'm at approximately 4.25" of lift, RE 3.5" kit, 3/4 spacer up front, and the 8.8 will give you 3/4" more lift on the back due to the thicker tube.

I'm not running an sye yet... but I have one on the shelf and will be doing it this fall. My jeep works, but there is not much shaft in the case, and my t-case slings a little oil out becuase of the minimal shaft amount.

REVROK said:
Nice looking work. :thumbup:

Luv2ride--
If you are patient around here you can find the axles for $150 at Pic n Pull or on Craigslist, if no patience you can go to car-part.com and find them all day long for $350.00 and sometimes as low as $250. Just sort by distance from your zip code. i looked up Roseburg's zip and did a search There is one in Eugene-- here Pick A Part, Eugene - PAR Member 1-800-439-3061 for $350.00. 4.10 ratio too...

I checked that earlier, but it doesn't say if it is LS or not. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm willing to drive to Eugene for it. Thanks.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I run an ax-15/np231 and 8.8. I'm at approximately 4.25" of lift, RE 3.5" kit, 3/4 spacer up front, and the 8.8 will give you 3/4" more lift on the back due to the thicker tube.

I'm not running an sye yet... but I have one on the shelf and will be doing it this fall. My jeep works, but there is not much shaft in the case, and my t-case slings a little oil out becuase of the minimal shaft amount.

Thanks! I could always have my uncle lengthen the driveline for me if need be, I was mostly curious about vibes. Do you have any vibes?

Back