• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Boost and 31x10.50's???? please help!!

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I'll be buying new tires very soon, after my 10th pair of new BFG A/T's have busted belts and got all lumpy, I am DONE with these things. I am leaning towards some Bridgestone A/T's or even the A/T Revo's, both seem to be a little bit more road worthy than the BFG.

I run 30x9.50's without any problems at all, no rubbing etc.....

i could def. use the extra 2 inches of ground clearence and would love the look of a larger tire.

Since I can run 30's without any rubbing. I figure a 2 inch budget boost would have me within a XXXX-hair of running 31's. I would gladly lose my beat up fender liners and trim what lil bit i may have to from the little plastic flairs, if any was even needed.

so what's everyones opinion on this. Is a 2" Budget Boost enough for 31x10.50's with the factory 5 spoke steel wheels??

My jeep with 30's
since this picture, I have re-installed the fender flares on the front and like i said, still no rubbing. :)
Photography014.jpg

CapeHatterasSpring2008113.jpg

IMG_1611edit.jpg

brianglawson said:
just to add to my first post, i was maybe considering this tomken kit??? what's everyones opinion on it, or what is the best budget kit?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76016_820.htm

Eh, that kit uses blocks for the rear leaves, not so good if you actually wheel the Jeep, which it looks like you do from the pics. Rather than a budget boost, you should look into a quality 3" kit with new coils and full leaf packs. Do you plan on keeping your Jeep for years? Think of it as an investment, do it once, do it right. RE makes very good stuff.

I built a 3" kit for my XJ for only about $300. Just browse the forum-sale ad's till you find what you're looking for. I've got 3" Tera-flex coils, 1.75" RE shackles, Bastard Packs in the rear. Where at in South Western Virginia are you at?

You think that by going from 30s to 31s you're going to get 2" of ground clearance?

You'd have to go from 30s to 34s to gain that.

But as was said, I'd go for at least 3" of lift. You can do it on the cheap - I'd avoid blocks and/or AALs.

With some trimming and bumpstops you might be able to get 31's under it with only 2 inches of lift. I believe most lift vendors recommand 3-3.5 for 31's

Here is a pic of my 97 with 31x10.50 on RE Super Flex arms and 3.5 inch coils up front and a DakPack out Back. While I have trimmed and now lost the end caps and flairs I have plenty of room without any metal trimming. Since these pictures are a year or 2 old I have now removed the end caps completely and trimmed the front bumper.

The loss of the flairs gives almost 1.5 inches up front and about .5 inches in back of tire clearance.

I am running 31x10.50 MTRs. The only real rub that I have is on the lower control arms at near full lock.

P9040009.JPG

P9040004.JPG

watercrossing.jpg

Stuck%20on%20bigRock.jpg

flexn_Oct2005.JPG

flexn_Oct2005_2.jPG

i have a BB and lots of trimming on 31x10.5's BFG MT's on 3.75 BS. no rub except at full lock.

well i do wheel a lot but money is an object, and the two inches of ground clearence was obviously from the lift bud... the tires will only add around a half inch...

I ran 31" tires on 7" factory turbine wheels with the R.E. bb for years with the normal rubbing on the control arms at full lock{ offset, not a lift problem] & minumal rubbing at the back of the rear wheel openings & that was only off road. I think the R.E. bb is the pick of the litter because it came with shocks & a braided stainless brake line & an aal instead of a block or a shackle. while you've got it apart you should try some GC V-8 used coils. I wish I had known about that cheap trick when I did my bb. lol

I have a 2" lift on my jeep and I am running 31's. For a daily driver its okay but I found that if your planning on doing any wheeling youre gonna need more clearance. I am already looking for a taller lift. I would advise just stepping up to atleast a 3" lift originally or you will have to deal with a lot of rubbing. trimming will definitely be needed if you go with 2"

Last edited:
I had 31's on my BB and it was perfectly fine on the road and was only BAD off road if I was really flexin out. but keep in mind you WILL NOT be able to disco the front sway bar off road with the 31's and only 2" but obviously you dont do that now with the 30's. I can m ake my 30x9.50s rub pretty good up front when disco'ed

on a side note I am currently running brigestone dueler AT REVOS and so far ON ROAD I love them. I have not had them off road yet but if they are even equal to the cooper discoverer AT's I had for a little while hten they will be just fine. not great but they did what I needed them to do.

brianglawson said:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76190_803.htm what about this one?

cherokee chuck: are you talking about the RE one with coil spacers and full length AAL??? i was just looking at it here http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_804.htm
yes , thats the kit I started out with.It was only $189 when I bought mine a few years, now they are in the $250 range. they don't come with U-bolts though. I had it back together & discovered the track bar problem, called R.E. & the guy at the counter told me about drilling a new hole in the track bar bracket .I was impressed with the quick accurate advice. that was good customer service in my book.

brianglawson said:
well i do wheel a lot but money is an object, and the two inches of ground clearence was obviously from the lift bud... the tires will only add around a half inch...

Hello McFly, ground clearence is achieved by your tires not the lift! The lift allows the fitment of larger tires which in turn moves the axle/diff away from the ground giving you clearence! The lift moves the body/frame away from the drivetrain/axles! It is all about the tires!! Wheeling 101!!:rtm:

Last edited:
Back