• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Light bar idea

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I would love to have a light bar on my chero, but imo i think it dosent look good unless you have a rack on top with the lights so the lights dont look completly out of place. I was wondering if any body knows of any lights, or mounting brackets that will allow for the lights to be in front of the stock rack crossbar so they wouldnt stick up? Has any body done this? pics?

here is another approach. A little different but this may give you another idea.

swamp06.jpg

And Yakima makes this:

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=77

Last edited:
You must wheel in open places. I could see myself dragging down some trees with those, or the trees dragging them off.

93_xj said:
443859844_l.jpg

mounted on stock roof rack

Nice light bar...I did the same thing, I couldn't find a company that would hold 5 lights on the roof.
HPIM0198.jpg

Actually I wheel pretty tight places...and they rub and hit branches...but it will slide off. I've got the scratches all over my covers. I've only broken a lense once...so its really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Its defanitly worth it for how much light/ visibility at night these things put out...It's really nice when you have a buddy that decided to burry his jeep as soon as night fall hits.

I did slide another rail up and secure it to the first one though, to make it more secure...93_xj, do your lights shake around with only having one bar?

I have a KC lightbar on my XJ.
The KC lightbar will hold up to six lights. It mounts to the rain gutters.

It is very easy to mount and remove. Making it easy to remove if you know it will get in the way. Just make a plug for your wires and it will take less than three minutes to remove. If your too lazy to do that than you dont really need a light bar.

Anyway, heres mine. The rock gorge is at Gilbert OHV in MN.

2047784_41_full.jpg

2047784_42_full.jpg

Brian

Last edited:
MN-Cherokee said:
I have a KC lightbar on my XJ.
The KC lightbar will hold up to six lights. It mounts to the rain gutters.

It is very easy to mount and remove. Making it easy to remove if you know it will get in the way. Just make a plug for your wires and it will take less than three minutes to remove. If your too lazy to do that than you dont really need a light bar.

Anyway, heres mine. The rock gorge is at Gilbert OHV in MN.

2047784_41_full.jpg

2047784_42_full.jpg

Brian

nice light bar...where did you get it? I couldnt find one anywhere that would hold more than 4 lights. Also I don't think it would be a good idea to make a plug on the side...it just makes it that much easier for someone to steal the whole bar when your not looking.

It is made by KC. Same people who make the Daylighter style lights. I bought it from the KC website. www.kchilites.com I think. And yeah, it will hold six 6" round lights. It has slots in the top so you can adjust the position of each light. I just have mine spaced to fit four lights. I also see that the price has gone up about $75 dollars since I ordered mine. No idea why.

It does not use regular bolts to mount. It uses a special smooth round Torx bolt. And it has a little knob in the middle that standard Torx wrenches wont fit. Its called a Security Torx. Some automotive companies use them to attach mirrors and such so people cant steal them. Same Idea with the lightbar. Not a very common tool. But people do have them. And I figure if they have that tool and are planning on stealing my lightbar, they probably figured they would have to cut wires anyway. Wouldent be anything a standerd sharp pocket knive wouldent cut.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Brian

Last edited:
Yup, that is it. Mine has held up great so far. And it is nice and sturdy. It does not wobble when driving.

Hope that helps.

Brian

I have 4 100w lights mounted on one factory luggage cross bar and they have the shakes,been trying to figure out what to do so it doesn't shake but I don't think it's possible.I even put bolts through the plastic part and that didn't solve it.

kind of annoying,isn't it?

andrew2516:do your lights shake?

jeepdeepfreak said:
I have 4 100w lights mounted on one factory luggage cross bar and they have the shakes,been trying to figure out what to do so it doesn't shake but I don't think it's possible.I even put bolts through the plastic part and that didn't solve it.

kind of annoying,isn't it?

andrew2516:do your lights shake?

Mine don't really shake to much unless I'm on a really rocky road driving fast...I slid another roof rack rail up behind the one with the lights on it and zip ties them together really tight. It seems pretty sturdy...but it was insane shakey when I tried it with just one roof rack rail.
IMG_1709.jpg

BlueCuda said:
You must wheel in open places. I could see myself dragging down some trees with those, or the trees dragging them off.
x2

I had to take my spare off the roof today so I could clear a downed tree that was over the trail...I would have lost lights like those dozens of times on tight/close NW trails over the weekend.

-----Matt-----

I made some to fit inside the front of a deflector I rolled up for a Wilderness rack.
Rack%20096.jpg

Rack%20107.jpg

Was way to noisy before making it this way and now nice and quiet. The customer wanted a factory look so made it like the KJ ones.

Gojeep said:
I made some to fit inside the front of a deflector I rolled up for a Wilderness rack.
Rack%20096.jpg

Rack%20107.jpg

Was way to noisy before making it this way and now nice and quiet. The customer wanted a factory look so made it like the KJ ones.
Now thats sick, i just got to figure a way to do that with out the rack. I love the low profile look.

pick up a yakima 1a gutter mount or rail rider mount for the factory track
48" cross bar and cut it down if you do not want is sticking out past the top of the jeep
yakima makes these mult purpose mounting rings called "snap arounds" they open up and snap on to the cross bar they usually come with 3/8 bolts witha big plastic coated wing nut that secures the ring to the cross bar
you can place as many as you can get on the bar any where on the bar
simply take your light mounting braket place it under the cariage bolt head and tighten down the ring to the bar with the wing nut.
you adjust the light to where they are almost touching the top of the roof for a low profile look or flip them up like most KC bars
they work great for mounting hi lifts as well
i will sanp some pics if anyone would like

this is my light bar you can put 4 6" light on it or there its from a Bronco and fits snug it and has hex bolts to prevent stealing. i had 4 light but busted one on a branch . mine was like 40 dollars i got it on ebay check that out.

(thats how you use a roof rack)
kehau_and_jeep_2.jpeg

Back