• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a rough estimate for what my pinion angle should be with about 5" of lift. I just need a starting point for when I mock my 9" under my jeep. appreciate the help.

whitneyj said:
I'm looking for a rough estimate for what my pinion angle should be with about 5" of lift. I just need a starting point for when I mock my 9" under my jeep. appreciate the help.
roughly 1-2* below your driveshaft angle. as you accelerate, your pinion will go up.

if you dont have a gravity based angle finder, now is the time to buy one...

get your housing ready, throw the 3rd member in it, throw the axle under the jeep, put jackstands under the axle, put spring perches on top of the axle, lower the jeep down onto the axle...

install the driveshaft on the t-case end
set the driveshaft in the pinion yoke
measure the angle of the driveshaft with the angle finder
remove the d-shaft from the pinion end
measure the angle of the pinion yoke...

you want the pinion to be about 1* to 2* lower than the driveshaft...

when its right, tack weld the perches, remove the axle from the jeep, burn em in, re-install, weld on shock mounts, add brake lines, drive it!

HTH

If you have a single Cardan shaft, the angles are equal and opposite.

If you have a single Cardan shaft, the pinion to DS angle is zero, and the T-case to DS angle is whatever it is.

Zuki-Ron said:
If you have a single Cardan shaft, the angles are equal and opposite.

If you have a DOUBLE Cardan shaft, the pinion to DS angle is zero, and the T-case to DS angle is whatever it is.
true!

I assumed that 5" of lift meant that he would have an SYE and a double cardan shaft...

good driveshaft info here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

I have a SYE and a double cardon shaft. mocked the 9" up, DS angle was 14-14.5*, measured the pinion yoke until I got 12.5 and burned it home, now I just have to get the shock mounts ground down and fitted and hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it all cleaned up, painted and put it.

whitneyj said:
I have a SYE and a double cardon shaft. mocked the 9" up, DS angle was 14-14.5*, measured the pinion yoke until I got 12.5 and burned it home, now I just have to get the shock mounts ground down and fitted and hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it all cleaned up, painted and put it.

These angles are referenced to what exactly? The DS? Can't be, too large of angles. The ground? They don't mean anything at all then.

All angles are referenced to the only thing that matters, the driveshaft itself.

You say you are running a double cardan shaft? Then the pinion to driveshaft angle should be zero. It will not matter what the angle from the T-Case to the DS is because the double cardan divides the angles between the u-joints. I have seen it where some people do set the pinion to DS angle 1 degree down to account for spring wrap, but it is not that critical.

Last edited:
Zuki-Ron said:
These angles are referenced to what exactly? The DS? Can't be, too large of angles. The ground? They don't mean anything at all then.

sure they do - if the driveshaft angle to the ground is 14.5* and the pinion angle to the ground is 12.5* then the driveshaft to pinion angle is 2* down...

right?

tomcat said:
roughly 1-2* below your driveshaft angle. as you accelerate, your pinion will go up.

Thats how we always set em up! I mean we are sooo thorough and precise with it to....

alleged conversation while setting pinion angle---
" man, look alrite?"...
"shoot, looks good to me. Burn it in"
:thumbup:

XJ_ranger said:
sure they do - if the driveshaft angle to the ground is 14.5* and the pinion angle to the ground is 12.5* then the driveshaft to pinion angle is 2* down...

right?

He doesn't give a reference, but...

Re-reading it, if Ground is the reference, it should be close.
I am so used to thinking of driveline angles as the difference, that the individual readings confused me :wow:

it all depends what the reference is. while referencing horizontal is a bit unconventional, if you reference it consistently, all is well and feel free to burn it in as long as you have your 1-2*

Zuki-Ron said:
He doesn't give a reference, but...

Re-reading it, if Ground is the reference, it should be close.
I am so used to thinking of driveline angles as the difference, that the individual readings confused me :wow:

what they are referenced to is not all that important, as long as the difference between the 2 is what you want. you can use a point on the rear bumper as your reference, as long as you use the same reference for both all is good because 2* is 2* no matter how you look at it!

Back