• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBDII AW4 to OBDI AW4

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I've got a 93 cherokee that has a 4.0/AW4. The tranny is bad.... Can I swap a 98 AW4 (that's in my garage) into this Jeep?

I have heard there are different sensors and connectors but has anyone adapted them and made this work?

old tranny in new jeep does, but new tranny in old jeep does not. the spinning lobe is keyed into the shaft the same way in both styles, and is held in with a snap ring in both styles. unfortunately, it seems that the new style lobe device is axially (height of ring) longer than the old one by just a hair. just remove the squared 4 lobe thing, and replace it with the rounded 2 lobe one, as well as swapping the pickup sensor. works beautifully for a combined 40,000ish miles for me.

Well, I got the rest of the story. Turns out the 93 Cherokee is a 93 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and the 42re transmission. I'm guessing the 98 AW4 won't swap into this setup.... Computers won't talk... correct?

Back