• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Radio and window problem

VTEK1

NAXJA Forum User
I got my XJ 1999 about one year ago. I got it with minor dents with full intention of putting 3.5 rubicon express lift kit and a new exhaust. Unfortunately college has claimed much of my spare money. I recently put an Alpine radio in the truck with 2 new front speakers (Pioneer) because the stock ones really suck. Since I put it in the radio has a funny static noise that i just noticed gets increasingly faster pulse noise as I accelerate. I talked to a guy at work who has a XJ, he told me to clean the ground on the battery and the ground for the engine thats located on the firewall. Also the controls for the windows on the other doors (minus the drivers door) don't work and then sometimes they do. If anyone has any information or anything it would be awesome. PLEASE HELP THE RADIO IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!

Omg I am having the exact same two problems with my 1999 xj all the other windows besides the drivers wont work, but i can put them down via the driver controls. And my radio has a whine as I accelerate. It reminds me of the cessnas I fly heh with the alternator causing interference with the radio. Please help our 99s out!

More than likely alt. noise is the static they make filters to put on your power wire to the radio. Windows use the search option look up window lock all u need is a jumper wire i just did mine and it took about 5mins

For the window fix...you can try to do this quick fix that will cost a couple bucks.

I am having the same problem on my 99 but this tutorial didn't work for me. If it is the window lock, then you can try to bypass it by splicing the wires. I just tried it last week but and nothing happened. I was glad that it didn't cause anything else to stop working though, so you might want to at least try it.

http://soxja.org/images/pics/Bypass/Bypass.html

If you do a search you can find similar problems with quick fixes.

The radio definitely sounds like a ground issue. If your main grounds at the battery and firewall are clean, look at the ground on the wiring harness on the back of the radio. Make sure it's making a good connection with the ground wire coming out of the factory harness.

As for the windows, search for "window lock switch" and you'll find your answer.

The window problem is fixed easily with that jumper i hope. It shows that you take the tan and the blue wire and just jump the wires bypassing the window lockout (why the hell do you need a window lock out anyways) As far as the radio goes, the idiot who put an aftermarket in before i bought the truck pulled the ground pin out of the wireharness. Right now the ground from the radio it hard-wired to the ground for the truck. (pictures to follow hopefully) once again any help is greatly appreciated. (any you guys from Massachusetts?)

okay so i spliced the yellow and tan wires together and everything was working great. Then i tried to start the truck, it gave like this one clicking noise and that was it it won't start now!!!!! AHHH!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

nvm the truck is running great, no battery drain and all the friggin windows work now!!!!! thats amazing. Jeeps seem to just fix themselves....knock on wood. Thanks for all your help guys.

radio is fixed with a power line filter that I found on Crutchfield, thought it might be just noise from the annetae so i tried a filter for that but it didn't work. Now I tried the power filter and everything sounds awesome. Thanks for all the ideas and help.

lol, when i did cap, rotors, plugs, and wires the other week I just forgot to push a little harder on the coil wire where it connects to the coil and that is where the sound was coming from. So i pushed on it while i was under the hood and the radio comes in crystal clear. Stupid stuff that I forget sometimes.

Back