• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Pitman Install

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anyone knows how far the new pitman arm is supposed to go onto the splines of the steering box. I have tightened the nut as far as I can but can't seem to go any further. This is how it is now. Is it ok or not?
IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

If you look at the bottom picture it doesn't seem like there are anymore threads for me to tighten onto.

I'd think you'd need a spacer or something, since it does infact appear that you don't have any more threads. Is this pitman arm less thick than your other one or what?

I'd be guessing that the pitman arm could move up or down in that space and would require a spacer.

The pitman arm seemed to be the same thickness, but it also seems that I'm out of threads to run it up any further. I'll have to see what I come up with today. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Are you missing a washer/spacer where the nut is going?

That looks about right. It's a bit of a no-brainer as long as you match the four wide splines up when you install it. There should be a thick lock washer that goes under the nut, it'll pull up a scoshe more when you torque the pittman nut down.

Mudderoy said:
Are you missing a washer/spacer where the nut is going?

Nope there is a lock washer and a nut. That was where it sat after I tourqed the nut. I looked at a couple that came into our shop yesterday and one on a dodge van looket just like it. I was under the impression that it had been replaced.

that looks about right. i just took my old pitman arm off and it wasnt all the way to the top. my new one doesnt seem to go all the way up either.

i think pitman arms have a very slight taper to them. becuase why else would you need a puller to get them off?
it's correct by the way. that's how they look.

99XJLove said:
Yes it was all in the RE 5.5" LA system.
Uhmm,No!The RE kit was designed for a "stock" pitman arm.Anything else will cause bumpsteer!It did not do anything to relocate the trackbar.

RCP Phx said:
Uhmm,No!The RE kit was designed for a "stock" pitman arm.Anything else will cause bumpsteer!It did not do anything to relocate the trackbar.

I don't know what RE kit you are refering to but this one comes with a drop pitman arm. Maybe the Extreme Duty 5.5" doesn't but the LA kit does. Here is the link it is part number RE2500. http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2025&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=F1C4D16558384

Either way the kit came with the pitman arm and drop bracket for the trackbar there is no bump steer and i've had it up to 75mph so I belive that it all works well together. The alignment shop said that the pitman arm was fine where it was at.

The RE trackbar bracket does NOT have any drop to it! It locates the frame end exactly as stock.Post up a pic!

RCP Phx said:
The RE trackbar bracket does NOT have any drop to it! It locates the frame end exactly as stock.Post up a pic!

I'm not going to waste my time uploading a pic to prove you wrong, but if you look in the link that I posted earlier. Go down to the parts list and click on the track bar bracket and read the description for the bracket. It says

Dot.gif

TRACK BAR BRACKET, HD XJ/ZJ

Part #RE1665Extra H.D.front track bar bracket for Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. This drop bracket is <font color="#FF0000">required</font> for installation of RE1660.
Dot.gif
ComponentsHWC10070 ~ BAG KIT# 21 -RE3781-RE3780RE-INSTRUCTIONS ~ INSTRUCTION SHEETRM22030 ~ XJ-ZJ H.D. FRT TRAC BAR BRACKE
Dot.gif
Dot.gif

Dot.gif
Add To Shopping CartQtyPrice$79.95
Dot.gif

Well your not getting it,but I will spend my time to clear this up.The manufacturers say many things that may or may not be totally correct.The actuall dimension "in inches" is exactly the same as stock.They most likely sell you the drop pitman arm so you dont call them back complaining about your tre/drag link rubbing on the sway bar link.I was actually asking for a front-on shot of your set-up so we could see the angles.

RCP Phx said:
Well your not getting it,but I will spend my time to clear this up.The manufacturers say many things that may or may not be totally correct.The actuall dimension "in inches" is exactly the same as stock.They most likely sell you the drop pitman arm so you dont call them back complaining about your tre/drag link rubbing on the sway bar link.I was actually asking for a front-on shot of your set-up so we could see the angles.

I will get one for you tonight after I get home from work. The angles look to be the same to me. Like I said no bump steer whatsoever. I know for a fact that the trackbar bracket has to have a drop to it because there is a brace that runs above the trackbar in the same bracket that goes to the other frame rail. I will post a pic of the whole set up tonight. I honestly don't think that RE would sell a set up that is one of the top 3 LA sysytems that you can buy and make it throw your steering off. That is why they are a top manufature. But whatever.

IMG_0208.jpg

I also took the liberty of drawing the angle in there. It is a little off but the drop pitman helps with the angle of the draglink's tierod end. It makes it so it is not a severe. I feel that the jeep rides great the way it is. Any other info you have would be great though.

Yeah ,the drop arm actually made things worse.BTW,youll find your RE bracket measures 5-1/4" to center,heres a stock set-up(5-1/4" to center).Heres some an old pic but youll get the idea.If you go to my longarm page you can kinda put the 2 pics together and "imagine" the angles.
img0067.jpg

That's a ZJ Pitman arm. I've had a couple that needed an extra washer to keep it totally tight. Watch it while someones turning after your first rough wheeling trip. If it's moving, your nut is bottomed out and you need an additional washer that is just slightly bigger than the current lock-washer. I've had this happen on two different XJ's with two different ZJ pitmans.

Dropping the pitman a little may have helped your steering feel and you probably won't notice any bumpsteer. It'll also help the pitman TRE live a little longer.

Back