• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar..quick discos?

nonnie

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to take out my rear sway bar completely but was advised against it by my auto insurance buddy. Does anyone a rear sway bar disconnect? This would keep the po-pos happy and give better flex :confused1

Just take it off. An Up Country equipped XJ doesn't have one.

Really? I have been selling JEEPs since 1995 and never knew that. Do you have anything to back this up or is it common knowledge?:peace:

My 91 that I bought new with an Off Road Package, never had a rear sway bar.

It did have a little heavier front sway bar but that bent. Its' replacement never has bent.

It is very common knowledge in Jeep circles, that many XJ's didn't come with rear swaybars. When I took mine off, I didn't even notice a difference on the road. But it did help a lot off road.

Take it off, and try driving it with out. you will probably notice no differance. Heck half the time I don't even have my front swaybar in!!!!

nonnie said:
I was going to take out my rear sway bar completely but was advised against it by my auto insurance buddy. Does anyone a rear sway bar disconnect? This would keep the po-pos happy and give better flex :confused1
Its true, all Up-country equipped XJs came without rear sway bars. Removing the rear swaybar does significantly increase flex. Removing it wont have much (if any) effect on the on-road handling. I dont know of a company that makes rear discos for an XJ. If youve already lifted your Jeep and are running oversized tires, youve already modified it, its a little late to worry about any added liability, if that is your buds concern.

But if you run empty most of the time? It MAY help handing????????? To drop the rear.
If you run loaded to the max a lot and/or put much on that roof rack. You may like it hooked up.
I have 3 kids (almost 900 LB in just passengers) and load the roof to the max as well as tow. I have stiffer springs all around 4 shocks in the rear with over sized sways front and rear and would not leave home without any of it..

Last edited:
The first thing to go off my ThumperXJ was the rear SB, as the OME suspension was being installed. Never noticed it missing. My ThumperXJ Tows Horse trailers, car trailers, garbage trailers, boats, other vehicles, Toy box trailers, and camper trailers. Im not the only one who drives it, and its been missed by exactly NOBODY. Take it off, toss it, and drive on. Rear discos...... Hahahaahahhaaa! Thats a good one.

My ThumperXJ Tows Horse trailers, car trailers, garbage trailers, boats, other vehicles,
========================================
Towing should add weight to the XJ but normally this weight is very low on the XJ and in the middle. This weight does not effect the XJ roll, much anyway
But put about 900 LB in the XJ and 2 to 300 on top and she rolls like a pig in mud. Then drag some 4280 LB anchor behind you and your looking for over sized sway bars. Well I did. Plus high rate springs and 4 shocks in the rear. I would not leave home without any of it.

Last edited:
I say take it off... really come on its an xj not an f350 or a ctd truck its a jeep man

badron said:
I have 3 kids (almost 900 LB in just passengers) .

wow... 300 lbs a kid?:huh:

Mine came with no rear sway bar same as every XJ made here in Egypt, but I installed one off a USDM XJ, It definately made the ride harsher, less flexy, but gave it alot better on road handling, combined with the Xjs stiff suspension, I can beat hondas in the twisty stuff.

I d love to see some rear discos, I dont know how you say that they dont make the ride any better maybe because you need a bigger sway bar on lifted a XJ.

badron said:
My ThumperXJ Tows Horse trailers, car trailers, garbage trailers, boats, other vehicles,
========================================
Towing should add weight to the XJ but normally this weight is very low on the XJ and in the middle. This weight does not effect the XJ roll, much anyway
But put about 900 LB in the XJ and 2 to 300 on top and she rolls like a pig in mud. Then drag some 4280 LB anchor behind you and your looking for over sized sway bars. Well I did. Plus high rate springs and 4 shocks in the rear. I would not leave home without any of it.

Man.... sounds like you need a full size truck!!!

Many people here say the rear sway bar greatly limits flex and has little or no affect on handling, but that is not what I've seen. Removing my rear sway bar had little effect on the flex but it did make a noticable difference on handling. That said I left it removed but I would enjoy having quick disconnects back there. I did a right up here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944062

Disconnecting the rear got me 29 RTI points, disconnecting the front got my 260. The front matters way more, the rear is almost trivial.

you don't need it really. I was following RaistlinAlpha throught the country yesterday. It handled pretty damn good i must say. I was the only Jeep that kept up with him. My buddy tim had no swaybars AT ALL. Thought we were gonna lose him

Back