• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spare tire location

MasterShakeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
not sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it if its wrong. im looking for ideas/advice of where i can keep my spare 31" tire. i know that with a 4rd XJ the options are somewhat limited. i have a roof rack but im not sure if i want to put my tire up there, im not very tall so gettin the tire on/off might be a problem. i can get a tire carrier but thats not really in my budget right now. i can just lay it down in the back but that doesnt leave much room for my other stuff like tools, spare fluids, parts, etc. if i keep it in the back with the seat down then i cant have passengers. ive heard of people fabricating stuff so it mounts in the stock location, but not sure how that works. anyone got anything? prefferably with pictures.
thanx

I have my 32" in the stock location with mods.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm

SpareWheel31.jpg

:cheers:
100_0006.jpg

thanx guys. i'll look into some of those ideas. hey gojeep, with that 32 in the back, are you still able to get a good view out of your back window?

When I had 31's, I had it on the floor with tools and such around and in it. Then I had a carpeted piece of plywood strapped over the tire holding everything down and quiet. This just raised my floor a little and left me with a place to carry other stuff. Everything was also hidden quite well with a good rear view.

i think im gonna try what gojeep did. do you think my rear speakers would get in the way? i dont think you can move that soundbar thing in newer XJ's.

With a 31's I would think if would clear the sound bar.
Having it on the drivers side ( RHD for me ) too it does not effect my rear vision at all.

FreshandClean4-15-08015.jpg

Stock location. I took out the bracket on the floor, hammered down the wheel well slightly and straightened out the stock screw to fit through one of the lug holes

i fit a used 31" spare on soft 8 wheels in the stock location in my 95 xj. i had to ditch the stock funky threaded hooked rod, but i kept the lower mount and my rear sound bar. i placed the tire on the "shelf" thing and attatched it to the stock 2 hole bracket with a ratchet strap. one hook thru one hole and the other thru the other. sinched up nice and tight. i was able to close my hatch with minimal rubbing, my sound bar had a rubbed spot smaller than a dime, and sometimes i had to slam my back seat back to get it to lock in place.

but i have now gone to a slightly modified (washer under the hinge bolt and added third brake light to the center of spare tire) stock tire carrier and bumper for under $40 not including mods.

hth
stewie

I think the cut off year is 98 and up = a 31" or 32" will fit in the stock location with no modification. My 31" fits easily in the stock location on my 99 model

I just removed the little stock shelf, and bought a threaded coupling to extend the stock hanger with some threaded rod. Flipped the hanger so it lines up with the center, and reused the black plug. Note I had a donut, so someone with a full size spare might not have that :dunno:

tire.jpg

tirerear.jpg

tireside.jpg

98XJSport said:
I just removed the little stock shelf, and bought a threaded coupling to extend the stock hanger with some threaded rod. Flipped the hanger so it lines up with the center, and reused the black plug. Note I had a donut, so someone with a full size spare might not have that.
What size tire?

31x10.50

Note that it is an all terrain. Your results may differ if you had a 31" swamper. Not all 31s are really 31" tall.

Starboard M said:
Are those 245/75/R16s?

Yes, they are. After posting that photo up I realized that I needed to redo the way it was mounting and was able to mount the tire more straight up and down and just used a hole lower in the lug pattern to gain a little more room.

31 spare in a 01. Not my 01. But I helped with the mod. Rear seat latch(s) needed to be mod with spacers under them. Made out of wood. Rear seat sets very upright now. Still good for kids and short rides.

I like the shelf idea even with spare in stock location.

Back