• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seatbelt bolts

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody happen to know if the torx bolts that attach the rear seat belts to the floor are welded to the body underneath? I cannot for the life of me get them to turn. I would like to know before I bust out the impact wrench.

I spent a day trying to get one side out before I stripped and drilled it, go for the glory, just don't expect much :patriot:

I took two of them out with a 1/2" impact gun and a HUGE breaker bar. The other one rounded the torx, so we welded on a torx bit and broke it again, welded it back up AGAIN, and finally got it out. Some bitch were they in there tight. You shouldn't snap the bolts though, they're huge. Replaced it with a 1/2" grade 8 I believe.

not a 1/2 grade 8, they are metric

use a good impact (800ftlbs+) and good torx socket (cornwell/matco)

and torch them from the underside and they will come right out, even on the most rusty and dirtiest of trucks

o and i have broken the bolts when i was in a hurry and not using the torch first, also it doesnt hurt to pb blast them from the underside and topside the day before

I had the same problem, all bolts came free except the two under the rear bench holding the rear straps. I broke a couple of bits and was only able to turn them a hair. Eventually I took a box of donuts to the Midas shop that does my Cadillac suspension work and they got them out with some air tools and a blowtorch. Part of the problem is that those two bolts use T57 heads which is really uncommon size and is only used by a couple of manufacturers.

jkilcullen said:
not a 1/2 grade 8, they are metric

Maybe on yours, but on my '89, it was definitely a 1/2". The nut fit it completley snugly, and when screwed in, it fit absolutely perfectly.

Back