• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UNFIXABLE PROBLEM?

uscgjeep1277

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj that i converted from a 2WD to 4WD. Sometimes while driving or sitting still idling it will just cut off or act like it has a dead miss. When it is not doing this it is running just fine. I replaced the fuel pump and filter, plugs and wires, distributor and new rotor button and distributor cap. I found out later that it was maybe my crankshaft positions sensor, but i thought that it would go out completly and not just work every now and then. So if anyone has any insight it would be very much appreciated.

thanks.

Sounds very similar to the problem my buddy encountered. His CPS was functioning intermittently, and it took several hours in the shop before they finally got a code. It would sometimes refuse to start, or would start and run fine, but shut down randomly while driving. No problems since replacing it.

check all your ground wires too... I used to have a simlar problem on my old 91, and after pulling my hair out it was merely a faulty ground connection.

Spray some oil into the IAC opening. The IAC can get gummed up and sticky.
If the IAC sticks closed during idle or even when driving when you let your foot off the gas (throttle closed), the motor can choke or die.
Fairly common problem that should be checked first before moving on to more exotic maladies.

The CPS will do exactly that. (intermittent). As often as not, its not even the CPS itself but the CPS plug. Try cleaning the plug up a bit and putting a little dielectric grease in it - being careful of course not to let it jump between the two wires.

A lot of people have started cutting the plug out and soldering the CPS in, and had it 'fix' their problems. If you have to replace it on the trail, cut the plug off of the new one and use wire taps until you can solder it at home.

Idle Air Control. It's on the throttle body.

Another thing to look at is the CPS plug. Mine was bad on the vehicle side. It would run sometimes, then other times I got nothing. After cutting the plug out and butt connecting the wires back together, it ran fine, and has been ever since.

I found this tip right here on NAXJA :worship:

Back