• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump Stops

luvdlions

NAXJA Forum User
In my infinite wisdom and years of wheelin' experience, I thought that it would be better to leave out the bump stops when I did my lift. More flex right? Well, I found out why I need them. The right front UCA mount "flexed" right up into my tranny cooler lines and crushed 'em. Sweet! Now, not only do I have to drop the axle, compress the springs and put in the bump stops, I need to replace the tranny lines. I'm glad I am so smart! :dunce: :doh: :doh: :wstupid:

Last edited:
I was thinking about that. How much pressure is in those lines? A rubber hose and clamps wouldn't work would it?

They aren't leaking or crushed completely, but they have been hit.

luvdlions said:
I was thinking about that. How much pressure is in those lines? A rubber hose and clamps wouldn't work would it?

They aren't leaking or crushed completely, but they have been hit.
the pressure isnt to high, i have mine clamped. it seeps when its real hot other than that its fine. you would probably want to flare the end a bit tho to help it seal. if you go this route make sure you get hose rated for oil, not gas hose or heater hose.

Easier than that. just go to the yard and grab the ones you need out of a doner.

I was just at the yard lsat week and grabbed one that was bad and 1.75 later I was done.

The lines just clip in on the trans and the cooler lines clip in as well. Just be sure the little plastic clips are in good shape.

Leep

I've been using rubber lines & hose clamps for about 1 1/2 years & no problems here. The pressure isnt very high. Make sure everything is clean & dry when you fit the rubber lines & use two clamps on each side..... no problem!

mattyj said:
I've been using rubber lines & hose clamps for about 1 1/2 years & no problems here. The pressure isnt very high. Make sure everything is clean & dry when you fit the rubber lines & use two clamps on each side..... no problem!
I did the same thing on a Ford truck I had.
No problems.
Yup...... 2 clamps on each end.

if you ever need help with anything shoot me a pm, im right here in yucaipa too..

xjkevin said:
if you ever need help with anything shoot me a pm, im right here in yucaipa too..
Thanks,

Apparently, there is a lot of us here in Yucaipa

You
Me
Skwerly
XJfrankie
Dan Turner
Ryurabbit

and I think a few others.

mattyj said:

Ditto.

If you install a trans cooler you always use rubber hose and hose clamps. Not much pressure in those lines. I have rubber hose to an aux trans cooler on both Jeeps and both pickups and have never had a problem.

BTW, the poly coil inserts for Rangers are BY FAR the best bumpstop to use, and I've tried them all.

Goatman said:
BTW, the poly coil inserts for Rangers are BY FAR the best bumpstop to use, and I've tried them all.

Prothane inserts?
I see Prothane has five different sizes(2,3,4,6 or 8 ring), all similar except for length. Which ones are for Rangers?

Ronbo said:
Prothane inserts?
I see Prothane has five different sizes(2,3,4,6 or 8 ring), all similar except for length. Which ones are for Rangers?

Yep, they're the ones. I've seen them listed under Ranger stuff, mostly for pre-runners. I think the ones I got were 10", and I cut them down slightly. They work very well, I know Lincoln and I run them, and Cracker ran them. They're pretty soft, mine compress about 3.5".

All this talk about bumpstops got me thinking that I might need to replace my front ones. So you all are saying that Prothane bumpstops are of higher quality. I'll have to look into that.

This is how my front bumpstops look now. Ugly ...

[FONT=&quot]
2hi2mhd.jpg

[/FONT]

I remember when mine looked like that!!! haha might as well not have them, all I heard was a loud BANG eberytime I bottomed out. I have the Full Traction ones now (cut to length) and they are a nice solid type of rubber.......no more loud BANGS!!!! haha

luvdlions said:
The right front UCA mount "flexed" right up into my tranny cooler lines and crushed 'em.

Same thing happened to me but it poked a hole in mine and i had to keep refilling it to get back down the trail. Good thing the trail was only a few miles from home.

Back