• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new idea for hi-mount alternator....

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
the wj grand cherokee's have a factory high mount alternator on the 4.0 engines, so, i was thinking the other day, why couldn't someone just take the bracket off one of those jeeps and bolt it on an xj which also relocates the a/c compressor where the alternator is now? food for thought....

Not trying to beat your idea down but whats the point? those components work fine in there origional location (at least on mine). what do you plan to gain from this? it just seems to be a lot a work for the same result to me.

The only advantage that I can see is that your alt wouldn't be subjected to as much water if you were doing any serious water fjording. Water plus electronics=not good.

ehall said:
avoiding mud is a big benefit. If the AC gets packed you can turn it off and avoid overheating it, but you can't turn the alternator off.

x2. But then again I'm a slow learner burning out three alternators in one year. That being said, ehall you have a PM.

I believe the early 2.46L brackety will also put the alternator up high.

The principal advantage you're gaining is avoidance of water & mud - when it rains, when fording, or when mudding. Why they put the alternator down low like that eludes me - makes some sense on a passenger car, but not on a 4WD truck...

i suggested using the wj bracket because you would still be able to use the a/c compressor if anybody would like to keep their a/c. and since they have been out for a while, there should be plenty available for us to scarf up.

moparjim1987 said:
i suggested using the wj bracket because you would still be able to use the a/c compressor if anybody would like to keep their a/c. and since they have been out for a while, there should be plenty available for us to scarf up.

I believe the 2.46L uses the SD505 compressor (same mounting,) so you could grab the aircon bracketry and the alternator bracketry and call it all good. Could anyone confirm?

(Not shooting down your idea at all! Just trying to explore all options - if you have a list to choose from, you're more likely to find something that will work...)

jpcherokeekid said:
Not trying to beat your idea down but whats the point? those components work fine in there origional location (at least on mine). what do you plan to gain from this? it just seems to be a lot a work for the same result to me.

You don't do alot of mud,do you?

I do alot of mud running, and i am paraniod that my alternator is gonna get f@$*ed up. thats why i created this post, to try and help you other guys with a cheap alternative to fix what chrysler should have in the first place.

After replacing my alternator the other day, I kept thinking about how bad of a location it is. I mean, my van has the alternator up top! I too am interested in a relocator bracket for up top...

yeah I am on my 4th alternator. All becaue of mud and water. This would be a great mod.

OK, I will be the bad guy.
How much hotter will the alt run setting high in the engine compartment? If any hotter. Up high it will see air after it passes through the rad.
Some cool air ducting to the alt or hood vents MAY be needed.
Some of the Fords use ducts for this reason. They may be adaptable if needed at all.
I like being the bad guy!:)

Worth looking into. There are at least three around here I may strip the bracketry from, if the application is viable. Thanks for the nudge.

For those of you who why bother.. Have you even looked under there after a day of real mudding, or river bed running? How about all that dust and gravel on the trail flying from the tires? Did I mention mudding?

Badron:
I'm not worried about it.Whenever the engine temp gets around 205* I turn my "puller" fan on which blows a great deal of air onto the alt.Not to mention the alt already has a built in fan on the pulley.
I see what you're saying though....hot air rises so the alt is subjected to a hotter environment.
Everything has a down side to it......

Last edited:
bwfdrums said:
yeah I am on my 4th alternator. All becaue of mud and water. This would be a great mod.

if the alternator takes in mud, leave it running, put it in park, take a bfh and bang on the bottom of the alternator until see see the mud fly out. I seen this happen after I replaced my alternator. I have personally cleared mine twice and seen it clear on two other ocassions.

BOB

Back