• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil in the distributor

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
1987 XJ 4.0

I pulled the distributor to prime the oil pump after replacing the RMS and noticed there was about 2 tablespoons of oil in the bottom of it. Is this a problem? I have already fixed the CCV system, so the crankcase pressure should be under control. Is there a seal on the distributor shaft?

There was oil on the block that looked like it was coming up the distributor hole. Should there be a gasket under the distributor? Sorry for all these questions. I have the FSM, but can't find the distributor anywhere in it. Chiltons wasn't much help, as usual.

For those wondering, the pan was down and dry for 3 weeks. Cranking the engine would not bring pressure up.

I,ll try and answer your questions. There is a gasket between the block and distributor,its thin and paper like.
There is no seal on the shaft,only the clearence between it and the housing,internal pressure could push oil into the bottom of the dist.If its worn that much,replacement is in order.
Wayne

Back