• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan removal/main/rod bearing replacment

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 XJ without an engine.. I just bout an '87 XJ 2 door that runs great for $500... but it has 260k miles on it. Once in a while when starting it I hear a bump from the lower end... I knew it had an oil leak when I got it.. but didnt' realize how bad it is leaking oil. As far as I can tell, the rear main seal is leaking, and the sending unit.. if I was going to drop the pan to replace the gasket I might as well do the bearings.. then its like I might as well pull the motor.. ..
Just thinking out loud here.. the '89 is a 4dr... with 170k on it.. but has a Dana 35.. the '87 has a Dana 44.. I'm not sure what my next move should be.. rebuild the motor and put it back in the 2 dr.. or drop it in teh 4dr then swap the rear axle.. the interiors are in about the same shape.. the 4dr has a better body... the '87 has some rear 1/4 damage that is going to invovle some pulling on a frame machine and a panel replacment.

the 44 swap is going to be easy. prob a couple hours at most so factor taht into your decision.

I'd focus on the most complicated/expensive/time consuming problem and work around that issue.

BTW, 2 door XJ's are badass... I'd definintely use that body!

Back