• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty coil springs

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
About 7 montrhs ago I replaced my OEM ciol springs with springs from a well known jeep replacement part company. Seven months later the glossy black powder coat is almost completely gone, replaced by a coating of rust. Is this right? My OEM springs, which I retained, have almost all of their original powder coat left. When I look at other rigs I don't see anywhere near the rust that are on my new springs.

Should I be concerned about longevity and safety with these rusty springs holding up the front of my XJ?

Doesn't sound like they were powdercoated and if so was done poorly.

Guess rusty's is holding up to their name! lol Seriously I bought a used RE lift taht was about 2 years old or so and the springs still looked great. I'd contact the manufacturer and see what they say, they shouldn't be that bad in 7 months!

he never said "rusty's" he said his replacement coils have rust...

Well I went out and got spring compressors and took them off. They are going out to the scrap metal pile at the landfill. I'm out 60 bux. Not only were they rusty but they settled/sagged an unacceptale amout. My OEM coils are back on the rig, for now anyway.

They weren't Rusty's.

300$XJ said:
I know that's why I put the LOL after that! it was a joke, you know ha ha

wasn't very funny.....:twak:

ok...........

Sorry you have no sence of humor!

Back on topic, did you contact the manufacturer to see if they would do anything for you? Maybe they will give you another set to try, since these failed so prematurely? It's worth a shot, even if they were a lesser expensive set then some they should still last longer then 7 months!

300$XJ said:
Sorry you have no sence of humor!

Yeah, sorry... I'm just being an ass...

It's just kind of annoying how much people bash Rusty for trying to run a business... it's not a big company... they have issues.

I wasnt' bashing them, I don't have or know anyone who has any of their products, I was making a pun on their name. I'm sure there are lots of people who have good luck with their products. Every company has people who bash them because of one thing or another!

alright, fair enough.....

Like I said, I was just being an ass...

Well, I could get hold of them and see about a replacement/refund which would necessitate me sending the coild back, at my shipping expense. I'm inclined to not even want to bother trying a replacement pair. My Saturday afternoons are worth something.

Rod Knee said:
Well, I could get hold of them and see about a replacement/refund which would necessitate me sending the coild back, at my shipping expense. I'm inclined to not even want to bother trying a replacement pair. My Saturday afternoons are worth something.
The reason these companies get away with selling junk is people like you and me have better things to do than to complain about their crappy products. I know that it is not worth your time to change it out with another set, but at least let them know what you think of their product. If they do send you a new set then just sell it on E-bay.

The reason these companies get away with selling junk is people like you and me have better things to do than to complain about their crappy products. I know that it is not worth your time to change it out with another set, but at least let them know what you think of their product. If they do send you a new set then just sell it on E-bay.

+1

88 Wagonman said:

X2

or at least you saved your self some money!

I'm sure if they have any kind of customer service they will pay for shipping both ways and the replacement. They could have had a bad batch around when you bought yours maybe? Not sure how that stuff works?

You could sell the new parts on ebay, but do you really want someone else to have the luck you had and bad mouth you? I think I'd just try to get a refund, or give them a second shot and if they only last 7 months again insist on a refund! I think I'd rather take a loss then pass known crap on to someone else! Just my .02.

Back