• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter and hill decents

indianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello:

Has anyone tried manually locking there torque converters, to help on decending hills at low rpm's with an automatic trans.? Any input, thoughts, or experiences?

thanks

The slush box does not use a deep low range. It will not help near as much in decelerating as a stick or as much as you MAY think. Some one jump in here with the real numbers but most slush boxes low range run well under 3 to 1. Most stock XJ manual tranys XJ are 3.5 or 4 to one. My NV 4500 is a 5.61 or some strange number like that.
The lockup mec is wimpy for this kind of stuff. Fine of what it is made for but you will need to beef it up for any real pounding.
OK after bad mouthing the hell out of your idea and the slush box in general. I will try to be a REAL help. I will chat with a dude that thinks the AW4 is king of the s**t pile. He will have a more of positive spin on it. Maybe an idea or two. If he will stop shooting at me.:)

Back