• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need Advice - Slow Power Window Problem '97-'01 XJ

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
I searched the forums for power window problems and came across lots of posts about broken regulators and the various fixes. Well what about super slow windows with no other problems? I have a 2000 XJ and my windows are incredibly slow and getting worse. The windows do work, albeit very slowly, the switches work, though the lock switch stick sometimes, and I have no clicks or grinding...yet.

My questions is what would cause the windows to be very slow with no other problems? Is slow a sign of a failing regulator or motor? Does the motor have too much resistance? Can anyone tell me if their windows went faster when they replaced a regulator or motor? Would greasing the tracks speed them up?

I would love some feedback before I go tearing the door panels off with no direction. I appreciate any input or experience anyone can offer, Thanks!

I noticed mine got faster when I replaced the "old" battery with a new Optima Red Top and upgraded the battery cables to the "0 gauge" ones from Jeepers and Creepers (5-90 also makes a fantastic set, but I didnt know about him til after I had already bought mine, otherwise, I'd have gone with his).

not sure about the 2000 model but the late 80's and early 90's at least had a strange power feed. all the switches have pins that feed into two plates. The plates are seperated by a non conductive barrier, one power one ground. if you get corrosion on the plates or the switch contacts inside the window switch assemblys, the windows will be slow or stop completely. if it is the same setup you don't have to pull the doors just the switch panel and use some WD-40.

Clean and lube the mechinisms.

Use electrical contact cleaner, NOT WD-40....

sorry sorry I'm in and from Alabama, electrical cleaner is WD-40 regardless of brand or type, I had mine apart to replace a broken switch spring and just used a stiff brush now they all work nice and smooth

thegdmf said:
sorry sorry I'm in and from Alabama, electrical cleaner is WD-40 regardless of brand or type, I had mine apart to replace a broken switch spring and just used a stiff brush now they all work nice and smooth

Are you referring to the smooth working of the switch after cleaning or the windows? My switches work fine, I am concerned about the windows going up and down so slow. Does cleaning the switches make the windows move faster?

Take the door trim panel off and look around. There are a few screws and some plastic pop off tabs along the bottom of the trim. Use a putty knife or pancake spatula on them. At the door ends of the lock rods and handle rods are some plastic connectors that are C shaped. They unsnap and rotate so you can get the rods loose. The wire harnesses unplug. Just go slow and be gentle and it will be simple to get a look inside.

The rubber U shaped window guide goes all the way down into the door. My window guide had somehow come loose and then the window squished it off to one side. The window was binding on this part of the rubber guide and that caused it to raise up very slowly. I pulled the rubber guide part way out and pushed it back into place the proper way and my window has been speedy ever since.

I'm glad you started this thread. My front passenger window is extremely slow too. It will take forever to slide down, and then when it gets to the bottom it will make a loud popping noise and slam into place. When going back up, it will do the same thing. Slow as molasses up, the pop and slam into place. I haven't had time to pull off the trim and dig around in there. This thread should help me narrow down the problem though. I already had to do the switch bypass mod because none of the passenger side windows worked. DC really dropped the ball on the XJ power window sytem.

FYI, My passenger side window started getting slow and loud....then the regulator snapped.

Now it's just popping, and about to snap for a 2nd time.:doh:

thegdmf said:
not sure about the 2000 model but the late 80's and early 90's at least had a strange power feed. all the switches have pins that feed into two plates. The plates are seperated by a non conductive barrier, one power one ground. if you get corrosion on the plates or the switch contacts inside the window switch assemblys, the windows will be slow or stop completely. if it is the same setup you don't have to pull the doors just the switch panel and use some WD-40.

Where are these plates that you speak of, Ive heard of them before but was told under the dash and I couldnt find them. Anyone know?

thanks a million

MIKE

the plates are on the back of the power window switch assembly. you take out the three screws holding it to the door and pull the wiring harness lose, look at the bottom of the pins those are the plates

Back