• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad day today ...

casper4x4

NAXJA Forum User
DSC00175.jpg

Luckily i have a daily driver that i just got haha. Poor jeep is outta commission until i get me a new axle. :repair:

Bummer. How'd it happen? Wheelin' I presume?

You wont need a new axle unless the housing is significantly damaged. Looks like you just need some new gears and pinion seals/bearings.

Damn ZJ low pinion D30's... let me guess had a weird vibe for some time??? All kidding aside that is fixable, but just not worth it.. Better off pulling a HP 30 from an older xj at the junk yard.. Oh and My D44 for sale is the REAR AXLE! Best of luck man..

Can anyone get me pictures of a HP30 and a D44 so when i go lookin at the junkyard i know what to look for and as for gear work and all that stuff what prices you look at?

A HP D30 looks the same as a low pinion except the Pinion's output shaft is raised above the axle shaft tubes vs below.

High Pinion...Low pinion. straight forward.

D44 pumpkin looks like this:
dana44b.jpg

There is a Pick A Part in Sun Valley. Haven't been there but older model XJ's are more common and usually HP D-30's are easy to come by. However try and stay away from the Disconnect D-30 that came in the RENIX XJs. You can tell by the boxy looking contraption located on the passenger side of the axle housing.

You'll pay anywhere from $150 - $200 for an axle. I pulled 2 axles at Ecology for about 150 each, I'd safely assume PAP would be about the same?

Anyway good luck to you..
Scott

haha i did it in the creek... well it died in the creek haha. my gears were fucked before hand and i have been drivin my other car around for sometime and left the jeep sittin out by the park and my guess it was just time to give out ya know.

is it worth getting a pre 96 with the 27 spline instead of the 29 spline? everytime i've been to the junkyard the xj are early 90's

floppy said:
is it worth getting a pre 96 with the 27 spline instead of the 29 spline? everytime i've been to the junkyard the xj are early 90's

Not really, get an 8.25 with 29 splines. Specs are pretty close to a 44. If you really wanted to you could get the 27 and then upgrade the shafts and carrier to go with the 29 spline later or something.

Back