• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent Chrysler 8.25 club?

CommandoXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm sure theres those of you who have broken shafts/internal parts on your 8.25 through the use of lockers, larger tires or just plain skinny pedal... I have fairly small (33") tires considering mine is unlocked and have never had trouble with any axle shafts/differential parts inside the 8.25... Everyone tells me its got advantages over the 35 (no argument there), but I'm also told that as far as housing/the axle tubes, its actually better off then an XJ/TJ rear 44 because of the 3" axle tubes over the 2.75" tubes on the 44s. How many of you guys have bent the housings on 44s and 8.25s? I was looking at my 8.25, and from the leaf spring pad out on either side im fairly certain its bent - and I wouldn't be surprised if its tweaked from the pumpkin out either. So I'm at a crossroads - find another 8.25 housing, or even a 29 spline 8.25 (i got an early enough 96 that im fairly sure I've got 27 spline crap - haven't pulled em to count splines though) or a 44. I wanna run a locker, so a 44 may be the better choice, but I'm trying to figure out if both a 44/8.25 would need a truss, or if my 8.25s circumstance is not very common. realistically, if my 8.25 is bent, im thinking a trussed 8.8 or something bigger would be a good option, but we'll see... My roommates dana 60s are looking nice right now. Then again, so is his frame. (gasp)

another 8.25 will not only be effortless to find, it will be cheap, and easy to swap...I understand the urge to upgrade, but man you will never run out of 8.25's

I know the TJ Dana 44 has the little, weak axle tubes, but I don't think the XJ Dana 44 has the small axle tubes. I think they're closer to the size of the 8.25.

XJ D44 = 2.76" tubes

8.25 - 3" tubes

TJ D44 = something like 2.6" tubes (they are the same as the D35!!!)

Thanks for the details, I knew they weren't D35 tubes like the TJ, but I thought there was more difference in the OD. Good to know what to expect if I decide to buy one :)

only problem with the 8.25 is the lack of lockers for it. especially the 29 spline. i will say that i have the no-slip in mine and love it.... it's just not very cheap. p o r c has it the cheapest that i found ;)

id just upgrade to a 29 spline 8.25 you can find them extremely easy, and dirt cheap. heck i just took mine to the junkyard because i couldn't find anybody that wanted it.

i beat on mine with 35s locked and never had a problem. built an 8.8 though

91 Jeep Project said:
Lack of lockers? ARB, Detroit, Ected, Aussie, No-Slip.....................:dunno:

good point... i don't have the money for gears and a carrier replacement locker though.... i should have specified.

91 Jeep Project said:
Lack of lockers? ARB, Detroit, Ected, Aussie, No-Slip.....................:dunno:

There is an ECTED available for the 8.25 29 spl?

turpehar said:
Are ther any other symptoms that lead you to beleive the tube may be bent?

the gears/shafts are all fine, but it appears the tubes themselves are bent from the leaf pad to the drum... I can't honestly say that a rear truss would have prevented this, as every truss I've seen for a rear 44/chrysler axle doesn't go out that far anyhow. I wonder how hard it is to bed a rear 60? hahaha.

CommandoXJ96 said:
i guess ill go hunting for another 8.25... perhaps a 29 spline if im lucky.

pm sent.....

there is no Aussie for the 29-spline 8.25

There is an ECTED available for the 8.25 29 spl?

Man, I must have been tired that day. I was thinking Auburn in my head, so thats where Ected came from. No, they do not have one for this axle. They have a great Posi though. The Aussie locker will eventually be in full production. They are finishing up correcting some minor issues. And I missed one, the Detroit TrueTrac.

So you have:

ARB
Detroit
No-Slip
TrueTrac
Auburn
Aussie (Not Available Yet)
Lock-Right (27 Spline Only)

I know its an old post but bc it came up again Ill give my input to the original question.
My 99 xj is turning 35s on a 29 spilne 8.25 Ive snapped shafts, taken out lockers, and beat the hell out of it. I just keep replacing parts and it keeps going.

My 91 XJ has a bone stock 27 spline 8.25 open carrier turning 31s. I am AMAZED! at how well the axle has held up. Ive jumped it like no other. 6 ft of air to the bottom of the tires is nothing even w/ a flat ruff landing. I have bent axle shafts and ive bent them so much that you almost couldnt spin the shaft by hand (just holding the studs, w/ leverage from the tire its not hardly noticable). Pop the c-clips and and toss in new shafts and its like new. Never bent a housing, and if that kind of gross abuse wont I dont know what could.
8.25s may not be the biggest strongest axles ever, but they have earned my trust.

And I missed one, the Detroit TrueTrac.

Thats what I have and it works great, in my opinion its just as good as a locker you just have to use some brake to turn it on. Its easy on the axle shafts.

I like the 8.25, I beat on it pretty hard with no issues so far. I have 2 complete spare axles in the barn ready to go on if I kill one. I usually pick these up for around $150

Last edited:
Back