• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

milemarker hub kit exploded!

flexdout

NAXJA Forum User
so I installed the Milemarker Hub conversion kit on Wed of last week. Everything installed smoothly and I was really excited to wheel on Saturday. Just to give you an instight Im running a D30 with stock internals, lockrite and 4.88's on 325/80/16 Xterrains. I get out to Richloam which is a N. Forest area we have in Fl. Mostly swampy trails with a few climbable areas but nothing extreme. Im excited as I lock in my hubs for the 1st time! I get about a mile into the trail and go into a deep hole of sloppy mud. Im almost thru it and have to throttle a little more when I hear an insane pop and lose all forward momentum. The guys who are with me wave to shut it down and I do. When I get out they point out the hub thats completely sheard off. Im overwhelmed that a hub would break that easy. Seeing how we were almost thru the trail we press on me now with only 1 pullng tire in the front. Just a short way further I come to a down tree about a foot tall. as I try to go over it I hear the pop agin. Yes thats right the other side broke. So to cliff notes this, brand new hub kit, very light trail riding, 1st time being used and both hubs break. They both sheard off just past the rim! Oh and to add insult to injury I got a flat tire leaving.

I havent had a chance to contact MM as of yet but Im gonna guess I got a bad batch. Looking at the metal (if you wanna call it that)) from where it sheard there is alot of air bubble spots and it looks exceptionally cheap!

I think Im gonna get the Bronco II warn replacements as they seem to be a lil stronger looking. And Ill just use the MM replacements they send me as spares.

I would go warn as well... My uncle has had his for going on 25 years and only had to rebuild once...

ya know i did the research and alot of people run the MM kit with little or no problems. Im just hoping I got a bad batch of hubs. I went ahead and bought the Warn replacements just havent put them on yet. Ill post up pics up when I get them loaded on my laptop. Im posting from my phone now

xalexjx said:
did the hub it self break or the bolts that hold it on?

The outer hub (locking mechanizm))literally sheard off where the rim goes over it. Actually the drivers side exploded into a shitload of pieces. The passenger side just twisted right off.

what rotors did you use? were they machined correctly? i have mm hubs ready to put on now...my cousin has been beating the hell out of his since they came out with no trouble. i have seen the same thing with warn hubs with the wrong rotors, blow apart. imho, there the same, your paying more for the warn name. (warn has the best electric winches though) don't let anyone fool you otherwise.contact mm, pretty sure you got a bad batch if thats what it is.

good luck

cipey

37's? on a d30? step up. the 44's bearings and lock are housed together in a cast peice. those conversion kits are only rated for 32's

jeppo said:
37's? on a d30? step up. the 44's bearings and lock are housed together in a cast peice. those conversion kits are only rated for 32's

but they are x-terrains. Tire size doesnt actually matter when you'll never see traction, right? ;)

You are running 37's on a 4.88 geared and lockrited Dana 30.....what part of over whelming the axle didn't you get. Be happy you had a built in fail feature. Trust me replacing hubs, specially the slip on kind is alot easier than u-joint/ball-joint failure or ring and pinion. I know guys that eat the smaller Warn hubs for breakfest, but love it because it saves on trail repairs and over all cost.

If you dropped down to a 35, they will live longer. I've had great luck with my MM kit, 35's and lockrite.......knock on wood.

mudxj92 said:
how much was the rebuild kit??

Depending on where he ordered a new set of Warn hubs.......anywhere from $90 to $175 buck for a pair. I carry a few spares and you can pick them up at any junkyard off a manual early's 90's ford ranger with the 27 spline outers.

CartsXJ said:
Depending on where he ordered a new set of Warn hubs.......anywhere from $90 to $175 buck for a pair. I carry a few spares and you can pick them up at any junkyard off a manual early's 90's ford ranger with the 27 spline outers.

Does Warn make fuses for the bronco II hubs ?

does warn still make fuses for the big ones?

cumorglas said:
Does Warn make fuses for the bronco II hubs ?

does warn still make fuses for the big ones?

No warn doesn't make a fuse for the small hubs.

And I haven't seen a fuse for the D44 hubs in a while, but they aren't rated for a locker.

I've seen the MM hubs explode on 33's at Big Bear with not much skinny pedal so its a hit n miss it seems

CartsXJ said:
No warn doesn't make a fuse for the small hubs.

And I haven't seen a fuse for the D44 hubs in a while, but they aren't rated for a locker.

i wheeled with a guy a few years back who use them. he didnt properly understand the locker thing. he demolished his detroit when the fuse blew. Detroits really don't like it when there is suddenly no load on one side. after that he lincoln locked it and kept a stack of fuses in the glovebox.

I found the idea of a fuse in the driveline very attractive. like the shear pin on my outboard or the 3/8 grade 2 that functions as a shear pin on the posthole digger for the massey. but it just seemd to expensive to go the whole warn thing and then keep a stack of fuses at twenty bucks a piece.

I'm running the Warn conversion on 35's and have yet to have a problem with them, and as far as I know, the PO never had problems with them, either.

As a side note, the Warn conversion kit says the small (5x4.5") pattern is only good for 32's, whereas the larger (5x5.5") pattern is for 33" and up. Does MM offer their kit in the 5x5.5" pattern? And what is their max tire size recommended for your kit? I doubt that they will warranty them if you tell them you were running way larger than recommended tires when the components failed. I could be wrong, as a matter of fact, for your sake, I HOPE I am wrong. That's a lot of money to only get half a trail ride out of :shocked:

Back