• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dome light always on

agm1563

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85 and the dome light is always on. At first I thought it might be a stuck switch with the door, but the light gets even brighter when I open the door. Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this?

make sure to turn the knob that turns your headlights on and off

From my experience with our Cherokee's.
If you have the rear dome light with a push button, the switch might be bad. I replaced mine with a small toggle switch.
OR, the slip on connections at the hatch lock might be dirty. Pull the inside cover, (use a couple of flat screwdrivers and you can save most of the fasteners) and clean the the connections.
While you have the cover off you might want to cut a 1 1/2 X 3 inch hole in the sloped part of the cover, then you will be able to lock & unlock the lock and also open the hatch from the inside.

Mike

The switch on the rear domelight only keeps the lights from turning on when the hatch is opened.

Mine was melted, the interior lights didn't work at all when the hatch was opened. I replaced the switch and if you leave the switch "on", the interior lights will come on when the hatch is open. If you turn it "off" you can turn the interior lights off even if the hatch is open. Handy for keeping the tailgate open for any period of time. I'd love to rig up a master switch to do the same with the rest of the doors, but I haven't looked into it yet.

PhotographerMike said:
From my experience with our Cherokee's.
If you have the rear dome light with a push button, the switch might be bad. I replaced mine with a small toggle switch.
Sounds like the same problem (and same fix) that I used. It's nice to be able to leave the hatch open when loading/unloading/lounging and yet keep the battery from draining.

For the OP - Firmly close all doors, and then move around one-by-one and open the door while manually pressing the door switch. You may find that one of them will actually turn off all the lights because it's pressed in farther than the door will. This happened on my rear passenger door, and I taped a dime into the strike area to shut the door off. That only lasted seven years though, so I eventually ended up pulling the switch out completely and securely taping the end of the exposed wire. Now the lights work as designed again, but the rear passenger door does not trigger a door light.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back