• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye using front shaft

copbait

NAXJA Forum User
when you think about it, the front end is only designed to handle 50% of the engine torque. so why would you want to use those parts in the rear which needs to be able to handle 100% of the torque?

don't get me wrong, i like the idea of only having to carry one spare, but i just don't know how strong the front shaft actually is. are there any specs or ratings on it we can compare to other shafts?

Last edited:
You're exactly right, it'll explode on the street first time out...

I ran that set up for quite some time with 33s and 34" heavy beadlocked swampers, I broke joints and shafts...on the 30, never on the driveline.

You can have a solid stock drive shaft but its not going to help at all, because torq is going to brake the u-joint every time.
Unless you need special geometry save your self the money and run a stock xj or grand cherokee drive line.
I keep a stock front drive line for a spare and the 2 times Ive used it on the rear Ive really put it through hell and its held no problem.

Ramsey said:
You're exactly right, it'll explode on the street first time out...

no need to get all offended with the sarcasm bro. i'm well aware people are running this setup, i'm just asking a few questions and maybe digging a little deeper into the details instead of just blindly running a setup just because other people have.

Welcome to NAXJA, where sarcasm flows like (insert random metaphor here)

If you think this setup is just "blindly run" by a bunch of ignorant idiots, simply because it fits, you should do much more searching and reading...

I was running a RE DS, when the centering ball went out I swapped in a spare front. That was 5 yrs. ago. Still need to rebuild the RE. JIM.

So this setup works and is reliable? also does it just bolt right in with no modification other than the sye?

DOES IT WORK

f**k ya i ran a RE ds and it held up just fine AND my front DS in the rear has done the same..I even extended it 2 " and still good..

BTW this is one local run 5: trail and TWO trips to the hammers on 5+ trails

dana 44 front and rear locked on 37's full bodied rig with and exo/inter cage and a spare

no ds problems

If it was my DD then I would have it balanced if I felt any vibes..ps Im sure tom woods is wondering why his ds sales for rear cherokee's has fallen:huh:

I ran my front shaft in the rear while waiting for a new rear shaft. I also pulled a front shaft off a junk Cherokee to use as a spare.

What rear end you guys running with the front shaft? Thinking a front shaft would be great emergency back up however I have a 44 rear.

i run the clayton 8" LA with 37" Mtrs and 5.13 gears, welded rear carrier and run a front drive shaft in the rear right now..NO problems at all i get on as much as you can get on a 4.0 with out abuse(i dont bounce off the rev limiter) but there are no issues with it at all..

jragan said:
What rear end you guys running with the front shaft? Thinking a front shaft would be great emergency back up however I have a 44 rear.

doesnt matter the yoke is the same unless you upgraded that..i use a waggy 44 and the front shaft works

copbait said:
no need to get all offended with the sarcasm bro. i'm well aware people are running this setup, i'm just asking a few questions and maybe digging a little deeper into the details instead of just blindly running a setup just because other people have.
sorry bro, i wasnt offended bro, i guess the sarcasm was a bit much though bro, it works just fine bro, fancy shafts are fine too though bro, either one works about the same bro, later bro

:roflmao:

There's a big difference between "blindly following" and "tried and true". If it didn't work, no one past the first few people that tried it would try it again. FWIW, I'm running a stock-ish Grand Cherokee front shaft in the rear of mine. I had to get it lengthened because I'm at roughly 7" of lift and have a 1" stretch in the rear. The driveline shop told me that it had the thickest walled tubing available on a driveshaft of its size.

BTW, I'm running it on 35's, locked front and rear with an 8.8 out back. I'm not easy on it, and it's holding up just fine.

:cheers:

Are the stock front shafts different lenghts from different models? If so are there better years/set ups that are more desirerable? ie....auto vs standard? I have an SYE already insatlled in a 90 4dr and am using a front shaft now in the rear, but I have a sagged out BDS 4" lift and I see splines. I am going to lift it another 1" or so in the rear to level it out and am concerned that it may not be long enough????

Back