• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ Died

phxjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have a serious problem with my XJ right now. While driving it died. The engine (4.0) will turn over, but it wont run.

I have replaced the battery, fuel pump and the CPS. I greatly appreciate any advice.

Joe

ditto. or the pick up camshaft sensor in the distributar.

did that year have ballist resistor?

I just went out and messed with it more, tried to unplug and plug in the CPS again. No start. I then tried one more time and it started for a minute and then shut down. Subsequent attempts failed.

I then checked to see if fuel was making it to the engine. I bled the fuel valve and fuel came out which makes me believe it is not the pump or filter. I replaced both of those last year along with the spark plugs and wires.

I pulled the codes and it is flashing a 12 and 54. The 12 is supposed to be the battery (just replaced today)/or computer recently disconnected. The 54 is for the CPS or distributor timing.

Anymore thoughts?

I'm having similar problems, also with a '91. Turns over but doesn't start. I have fuel and spark and no blockages from the air cleaner to the throttlebody. Could a bad IAC/MAP or TPS cause a no-start if it's getting fuel and spark?

This may sound self-evident, but are the leads to the battery corroded....and is the battery connection tight? I had a similar problem.....and while the cable was connected to the battery, I didn't realize that it wasn't very tight (also the lead needed to be replaced). After replacing the lead and tightening up the bolt, it started everytime thereafter...

is it the sync sensor in the disco. 1990 and before would run if those failed but not 1991 and up. try unplugging it and plug it back in. i heard that works some where.

Hey here is the problem, i had the same problem but i just figured it out. It is the COIL wire. The one that goes from the top of the distributor, to the PASSANGER side of the wheel well. As you turn it over have a friend wiggle the wire where it connects right there on the side of the wheel well. I GARUNTEE it will start. let me know how it goes.

phxjeep said:
I pulled the codes and it is flashing a 12 and 54. The 12 is supposed to be the battery (just replaced today)/or computer recently disconnected. The 54 is for the CPS or distributor timing.

Anymore thoughts?

Seems like you've found the problem. Code 54 is for the cam position sensor (or stator) inside the distributor. It could be just a loose connector contact but it would also be a bad sensor. See if disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor resolves the problem.

Back