• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument cluster lights... 4WD light not working

PGT FTW

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled things apart today while troubleshooting a shorted speaker. I pulled the instrument cluster and swapped some of the bulbs for unused ones as I have a few that aren't working (Part-Time for example).

I can get into 4-Hi easily (it works evidenced by inability to spin the tires in teh rain vs. 2WD). 4-Lo isn't as easy as I remember in my TJ, but it's still usable.

Thing is....no dash lights showing 4WD. I figured the bulb was dead....swapped with a known good one and still not working. What else is there to look at...obviously there's something within the transfer case that should trigger the lamp.

What year is your XJ?

If you have a disco D30 then the t-case light runs off the actuator down on the axle.

If you have a non-disco then the t-case light runs off a plug on the top of the t-case towards the front where it connects to the tranny.

More info needed I guess?

I think yours came with non-disco D30.....

Don't worry, my 87 XJ 4WD idiot light doesn't work either.....(dead circuit, no power anywhere in the circuit.....)

I am however, going to lock the Disco permanantly in the next two weeks....That way I know mine is truely in 4WD....(It offically gave up today, no engagement, or very delayed disengagement.....)

there is a sensor on the top of the xcase. Above the front yoke, 99% of the time that's bad if the light doesn't go on. IIRC they run $30 at the stealership

Mine (96) didn't work the first few times I used it. After hiting a few large potholes I noticed it started to work intermitently, Now it works perfectly. Check to make sure the wires are all connected tightly and with no corosion in the plugs, That was probably my issue.

~Alex

Back