• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint upgrade

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have been searching for about an hour with no deffinate answer. I have a 89 with the d30 disco axle and a 231tc. I need to do the axle ujoints so I want to upgrade to the larger ones. I do not want to do the long shaft upgrade. I want to keep my disco a disco. What year and model can I grab the new(used) axles out of to do this. Thank you

Yes you can. You'll need the outer axle from a late YJ with ABS, don't remember the year off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find it in my old notes. Any year will work on the drivers side.

6 months for a u-joint? Guess that counts as preventitive maintenance.

--Tom

Was in the middle of the edit and I ran out of time. 45 minute time limit on editing it turns out.

Okay, I found my old MJ notes. You want the pass. outer from a 94 or 95 YJ with ABS. They have both the disco front and and 297 u-joints. The part number is 75588-1x from Drivetrain Direct, and that includes the new u-joint. The Left side part was 75814-1x, also with the u-joint. This is 5 years old so the part numbers may have changed. They were running $129 and $119 respectivly.

--Tom

OK, my bad. But why would you want to keep the disco? Another problem waiting to happen?

OK, my bad. But why would you want to keep the disco? Another problem waiting to happen?

i doing this myself. this is exactly what you need:
a 95 wrangler pass side shaft for the disco (it has the 297 u joints.)
for the driver side you can get any year driver side with abs and pull the abs tone ring off and you have a 297 driver side shaft.

94/95 YJ/ABS. damn...i know someone who parted that out...and didn't keep the shafts......................

paulhead said:

I am use to the disco. Plus its not vacuum anymore. I put on a posi-lok like the first week or so I had the Jeep. If I didn't have the posi-lok ya I would just do the long shaft upgrade.

Back