• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCV Valve

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search but no real luck.

My 87 2.5L has the oil seeping issue on the top of the valve cover at both grommets.

I have removed both connections and hoses are clear?

I have been searching and upon viewing some pics of engines I have seen a PCV valve inserted into the front grommet and then the hose from it.

I realize they are 4.0 L engines but can / should I do that on my 2.5L and would it help.

Is there a specific PCV or can I just find one that fits?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I HATE that leaking :)

I had a PCV on my '90 4.0 and blew every gasket on the engine until I realized I was pressurizing the crankcase with it. On the 4.0 the small tube at the rear is the CCV - a metered vacuum draw to the intake. The big tube up front is the fresh air intake from the air filter - and the escape path for blowby when it builds up too much. IIRC the 2.5 is the same.

Do not install a PCV where none is needed. What you might have assumed was the PCV is merely an elbow for the tube from the factory. I subsequently gutted my incorrectly installed PCV and made it an simple elbow - which makes the system work correctly. I now use a Chevy valve cover breather and have oil running down the cover - not so good.

Your oil seeping issue is due to 1) too much oil in the blowby, 2) loose seals. Replace the seals. Consider using a piston ring additive like Restore or Auto-RX.

Do a search here for how to make an air oil separator (catch can) to keep that nasty gunk from dripping all over the air filter (which it does on the 4.0.) Another one in the small line will also keep a lot of contaminants out of the intake and nearby combustion chambers. Your plugs will run a little cleaner, and the environment will still be protected.

The Pontiac 2.5 has a nice aluminum ribbed one I've been eyeing for some time, and it's been mentioned on the Bobistheoilguy forum in a thread on blowby.

Last edited:
I noticed this same thing on my '01 Sport. I cleaned it up today and also cleaned around the valve cover gasket itself.

one issue I'm having....after driving for a bit then parking for 5 minutes, the next time I run it...it idles very roughly and doesn't respond to throttle inputs. If it sits for awhile, it runs normally. Is this consistent with the rings going? Or, something else like a PCV clogged up somewhere?

search "heat soak"...

Could also be a TPS or IAC problem. Clean your throttle body and associated devices lately? My bet would be heat soak though.

I haven't cleaned anything...it's new to me a few months ago. It runs great until it sits for a few and yes, it's only once it's gotten warm out.

Back