• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on fuse links

If anyone knows for sure it is 5-90 so if you fail to get an answer then PM him. He is into the electrical side of XJs and will know everything that you need and where to find it. He is also very knowledgeable about other Jeep related stuff too.

Thank you.

I'd have to check, but I think ChryCo largely did away with fusible links when they started using the Power Distribution Centre with the MAXI fuses. If they're found anywhere, they're likely to be in the "main" distribution lines, like on RENIX (but, there's nowhere to really attach them.)

Why for are you asking?

Thanks for the responses. 5-90, I was looking in my FSM and in a cheap Chilton manual I had laying around and they mention fuse links but nothing on how many or where they are. I looked in the wiring diagrams seven ways to Sunday and for the life of me I cannot find where they are. That's the only reason I wanted to know. If ChryCo did make the move from links in '91 that's good info to know.

I did searches prior to posting the question and I found quite a few of your posts on the subject but, like you said, the answers applied to the older Renix systems.

The fusible link wire did make a reappearance in later vehicles - the PDC with the 8m/m screwpost has a 6AWG alternator output lead, and a 10AWG fusible link segment in it. Else, you've got two MAXI60 fuses in the PDC to replace the thing, and most distribution is done by MAXI fuses. Imports used varieties of PAL "cartridge" fuses to do the same thing (some screwed in, some had male prongs, some had female sockets. All had the same basic shape for the fuse element, so they were lumped in as "PAL" fuses.)

I've been trying to find a chart of capacities for various gages of fusible link wire, so I can replace them in RENIX with MAXI or MINI fuses (MAXI is the large plastic "blade" fuse - looks like an overgrown ATC/ATO fuse. MINI is the smaller version of the ANL "wafer" fuse I use in mains kits,) but I've not been able to dig that up yet. All I know about selecting fusible link wire is that it is four "number sizes" smaller than the main part of the circuit (10AWG for 6AWG, 12AWG for 8AWG, ...) which isn't that much help. I could work backwards from there, but I'd prefer something a bit more solid, you know?

I pulled the cover on the PDC and there are three 60 amp Maxi fuses. One is for Alt Pwr #1, the second is for Alt Pwr #2, and the other is for the ignition system. I also have a 30 amp for engine control. Then there are three 40 amp maxi's for the fuse block, head lamp system, and heated rear window. Perhaps these take the place of those fuse links???

90Blue_XJ said:
If anyone knows for sure it is 5-90 so if you fail to get an answer then PM him. He is into the electrical side of XJs and will know everything that you need and where to find it. He is also very knowledgeable about other Jeep related stuff too.

You see he is the man. If you need to know anything electrical about the XJs he is THE man.

confused said:
I pulled the cover on the PDC and there are three 60 amp Maxi fuses. One is for Alt Pwr #1, the second is for Alt Pwr #2, and the other is for the ignition system. I also have a 30 amp for engine control. Then there are three 40 amp maxi's for the fuse block, head lamp system, and heated rear window. Perhaps these take the place of those fuse links???

Correct. Since MAXI fuses are quick and easier to replace than fuse links anyhow (and cheaper!) just throw some MAXI fuses in your spares box, along with the ATO fuses and various small bulbs. Problem solved.

MAXI fuses can be had to up 80A - if you need anything larger, go with a MINI (40A-250A, I think) or an ANL (60A-600A.) Either of those are preferred over AGU - AGU fuses are large glass tubes, and aren't that durable.

@90Blue - thank you. I've just had to deal with more stuff that's been blown up than most other people, tho... "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

And if you do have a '90 - fusible link wire is occasionally available at the part house electrical section. But retro fitting a blade fuse holder is a lot more convenient - which is what I did.

IIRC the FSM shows the amp rating in the wire diagram, just insert that size fuse. It pops for me! but that's a different problem, I keep a supply in the car.

Back