• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird starting problem

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
well when my jeep is cold it starts like a champ but when i go in to a store for just a few minutes i come out and have to press the gas to get it to start. Now could this be a fuel filter problem or is the pump going bad? I wanna fix it before it goes out at a bad time

97 4.0 122k no check engine light

I would probably test the throttle position sensor first and then check fuel pressure both running and not running. Check it by installing a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. One more question.....after it finally does start with a hot engine when you tip in the throttle, does it start CLEANLY or does it stumble a bit when it starts?

it stumbles a little bit but its not horrible

So far your data says the problem is heat related not fuel pressure or fuel pump related. Get an ohm meter and check the CTS and IAT (also called MAT) temperature sensors to see if they have the correct resistance when hot. A hand held IR temperature gauge helps with the test. Also look for an exhaust manifold leak that is overheating a fuel injector and causing a vapor lock, or a leaky fuel injector.

I had the opposite problem with mine and it was a defective IAT (Intake manifold temperature sensor) that had the correct temp when hot but not when cold.

My first guess would an exhaust leak near an injector, or some problem causing the injector to get too hot when the engine is turned off. I have read about a service TSB on this problem in older threads here.

any more input?

I am having the exact same problem. Cold starts like a champ . . .runs fine . . .get it a little warmed up and you have to depress the pedal halfway and then she fires. I havent checked anything yet but now I'm going to. Anyone figure this out yet?

X2 on checking fuel pressure.

I have been having starting issues(not quite the same as the ones in this post) and performed a pressure test. Found out I loose all pressure instantly after shutdown.

Pressure checks can tell you a lot about the fuel system.

Back