• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD XJ?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I recently changed my job and now need to use my XJ for DD. I have a good start with 4.10 gears and 33" Toyo AT's with a FT long arm kit. I am currently getting 17.4 mpg and I recently instaled a Currie rock jock steering set up with the Goforit tie rod flip and had the wheel alignment done. My major problem is the rear end is stiff as hell. The springs dont seem to give at all and I even have a swing out tire carier with a 33" spare,trailer hitch and good size tool box in the back. The XJ has about an extra 300 pounds in the rear. I am running RS5000 shocks. I would like to get a smoother ride out of the rear end could anyone help me with ideas? Will it make a difference if I got RS9000 shocks so I can adjust the dampening?

The weight doesnt matter. If I were to take out the weigth off the jeep it wouldnt flex at all on the road. The weight actualy helps with flex. I am going to cut the bump stops this weekend but I was wondering if I should change shocks or do something else such as different springs. I gues I am looking for someone who has a FT 6" long arm kit or knowledge of the kit, that would have some advise. The rear springs seem to be realy stiff.

x2, I think since its a "jeepspeed" type setup...I wanna say FT springs look a lot like Deaver springs - or at least they are built very similarly.

Those Rancho shocks are not the best. I'd suggest getting some Bilsteins. I'd say OME long travel, but 6" of lift might be too much for those...?

I have the FT leaf springs. I have not looked at any shocks yet. What do you all think would be the best set up?

I do think that OME's are too short for a 6" long arm kit. I have a 6.5 kit with spacers and shackles making it about 8" and its my DD.
I replaced my front shocks with Skyjacker hydro's, Origianaly I wanted to stay away from Skyjacker because they seemed more like "show" lifts and parts but the hydro's really keep the front in line and are softer than my origianal rusty's shocks.
As for the rear the leafs are really stiff and are pretty bad on bumps, I'm still experamenting with em.

Back