• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 SYE question

jonb8

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this out of a 89 4.0, 5 speed xj. It's a 231 with a sye and the input has 21 splines. My question is can I make this work in my 87 xj with a auto and a 231, or should I just sell it and buy a new one? Thanks.

Picture137.jpg

Yes you can make it work, But you are going to need a different drive shaft. A late model XJ shaft (around $50 in most junkyards) should work. but check your measurements to be sure.

garr said:
Yes you can make it work, But you are going to need a different drive shaft. A late model XJ shaft (around $50 in most junkyards) should work. but check your measurements to be sure.
To fix what he has stated.

Yes it will work. But you need a 4.0 Auto XJ front shaft and to adapt it to the SYE.

Kyle Deidrick said:
To fix what he has stated.

Yes it will work. But you need a 4.0 Auto XJ front shaft and to adapt it to the SYE.

Thanks, I left Front out!!, I was thinking it but somehow it never reached my typing hands.

Does it matter if the front shaft is from an auto or manual tranny equipped XJ?

Thanks, I was just worried about the splines being the same from 5 speed to auto. I've also read that the D44 is an inch longer in the in the pinion cone than the D35, so I'm not sure if the front driveshaft will work with the 44 or not. Probably gonna have to cut it.

Back