• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving in

GreenbeltXJ

ACTUAL WHEELER
just wanted to stop by the SoCal chapter to see whats going on, ill be moving to Camp Pentleton in Nov. how far will i have to drive to hit some good trails?

Welcome to the SOCAL group, a few months early! You will find several Marines (active-duty and vets) as well as other military folks around here. As for wheeling locations, depends aon what you want to run. There are several options ranging from 30 to 45 min all the way up to several hours (MOAB) and everything in between. The mountains around Big Bear offer a selection of trails. The desert offers lots of options as well, the infamous "Hammers" and Johnson Valley will test your rock crawling abilites. There are several other trails in the San Diego area.

Most of the time you will travel at least an hour to get to a trail.

Make sure you get to the meet and greets. That's where will you will meet lots of great folks and talk shop for hours!

That's a good spot IMO. North/East to Big Bear, Stoddard Valley, Johnson Valley. East to Anza Borrego(Truckhaven, etc), Corral Canyon.
There's quite a few XJ'ers in the Oceanside-Vista-San Marcos-Escondido area. Rawbrown's nearby too, but he ain't worth much these days. Har-har. :)

what kind of tires do you guys run i have 31" LTBs, and some 30" road tires for the trip down, my LTBs are olmost done so im getting new tires anyway, i wanna go with a 32-33in tire, should i get some ATs or just more forgiving MTs

MT/R's are popular in the rocks. I think they work fine on road too.
Maxxis Creepy Crawlers seem to be the new(er) hotness. $.02

Back