• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing steering box.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
My front end is really sloppy and when I pull on the drag link at the pitman arm I get a tiny bit of up and down play. I'm thinking the streering box could be worn. Any thoughts? Difficult to replace?

Is the play in the Tie-rod end or the is the pitman arm moving with it? If the box is the problem they are very easy to replace I just did mine last night in less than an hour.

Last edited:
remember if your going to replace it to soak the bolt first with PB or somthing like that. It can be pretty easy to snap a bolt off in one. Which is no big deal if you have new bolts to go with the new replacement, but if not, your screwed until you can get new bolts.

replace it. its an easy swap. I did mine at camp with a buddies help took less than an hour. I had about 1/4" play in the sector shaft and that made HUGE death wobble issues for me.

All is good now :passgas:

YEAH, I just felt that sinking feeling of snapping the steering box bolt. ...had to weld a bolt on to get it out.

**?** Is the YJ Steering Box a possible Plug and Play upgrade? Or was it a ZJ?

While we're at it, whats the steering fluid tank upgrade... was it wiper fluid tank or AC... I forget heh heh

Hammered said:
YEAH, I just felt that sinking feeling of snapping the steering box bolt. ...had to weld a bolt on to get it out.

**?** Is the YJ Steering Box a possible Plug and Play upgrade? Or was it a ZJ?

While we're at it, whats the steering fluid tank upgrade... was it wiper fluid tank or AC... I forget heh heh

It was a ZJ.

You should use the AC fluid tank.:spin1:

What is a sector shaft? Is that the main shaft that connects to the pitman arm? If I pull on the pitman it moves the shaft in and out of the streering box about a 1/4 of an inch. Could this be enought to case the sloppiness?

That is correct. Replacing that steering box will REALLY make a HUGE difference.

you can get a used one from wrecker, but may not be what your looking for. reman'd ones can be found at any NAPA or the like, and you could probaby get a new one there too.
you can search upgrades in this dept too on here, durango or dakota boxes I think, aswell as YJ, like you said, but they entail a bit of work.
and I think your talking about using the AC condensor as a cooling res for PS fluid? If so, yes it can be done if you no longer use your AC, you can also find small cooler used on some tow equiped vehicles, or again buy new at NAPA.

Back