• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BELT SQUEAL AT STARTUP!!!

xjfanatic87

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched, but to no avail...
I replaced my serp belt on my '00 and from then on when I would go to start it up it would squeal horribly for about 5 seconds then go away. If I revved it up within a minuite after startup the belt would let out a little squeal. Then I got another belt and the same thing is happening. I'm pretty sure the belt is good and tight. And I'm pretty sure it's not the a/c clutch. New idler pully too. Help Me!

Okay... Don't quote me on the belt being tight just yet. I'm going to school for auto mechanics and I work in a shop, I should have known better about the belt loosing a little tension after running a while. Before I go to school, I'm going to re-tighten my belt just to confirm that was the problem.:doh:

poorboy_616 said:
Sounds exactly like a water pump bearing that is about to go......

Replace your water pump and you should be fine....

I could see the water pump being the culprit too, but from my experience don't they usually make noise more than just at startup? At least everyone I have had to replace did that. But I learn more everyday and my rig does have 107,000 on the same pump.

double check belt tension. are you running your a/c or defrost? if so, is it squeeling when the compressor clutch engages?

It's amazing that when you actually have belt tension, the belt doesn't slip...
Yeah, it was twisting past 90* on the tension test. All better now. Thanks for being a part of my nearly pointless thread!!:party:

I had the same thing. It ended up being the idler pulley bearing was about to go. It seized up and I ended up throwing the pulley and lost it and the belt on the highway. Replaced it and I have never had another squeal since.

Back