• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start, need help!

dodgeb1b

NAXJA Forum User
hello, I was out wheeling last week when my 89 jeep MJ (4.0 5 speed) died when I was driving. It acted like it ran out of fuel, but when I rolled to a stop i noticed it had overheated and was boiling over. I let it cool down and put a few gallon of gas in it and tried to start it. it sputtered a few times then nothing. I checked the pressure at the rail to find nothing and noticed that i didant hear the pump. I jumped the resistor and checked to see if I was getting power at the pump to find nothing. Could this be the relay? I swapped the relays around with the other two with no luck. If not that what else is there? any help would be appreciated. The closest parts store is 45 miles away so anything i can do to only have to make sure i only have to make one trip would be great.

If you don't hear the pump energize, what you've done is a good start in troubleshooting. Jumpering ballast, swapping relays, I think you're probably down to trying a new fuel pump.

However, I don't see any relationship of the overheating to this problem; I suppose it could be a bizarre coincidence??

the only thing that has me thinking that its is not the pump is that there is no power to the pump. what I really need is some kind of wiring diagram. I have looked all over but no such luck. any leads on a good one?

Back