• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Cooling Fan Differences

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just happened to ruin the accesory fan on my 99sport. It is a 4.0L Ax-15, 231 combo from the factory. I realized after I bought my new fan that was from a 98 cherokee that they weren't the same. I thought the one that I bought was the older one and therefore I had been jipped. Then I looked at one that was a 99 that came through the lube shop that I worked at and saw that they were the same. So when I got home I put the two side by side and realized that they were using the older style on mine with a jumper harness to make it work. My only reasoning for this is because it was a Ax-15 not an Auto trans. Am I right?

Anyways here is a picture for clarificaton. The original is on the right ( you can see the jumper at the top left of the unit) And the used one that I purchased is on the left which has no need for the jumper harness. Just thought I would see what you guys thought about the subject and see if all Standard trans jeeps came this way or not.

HPIM1534.jpg

There are IIRC two styles of electric fan, Late model 1996-2001 and early model, pre-1996. I am not sure of the exact dates but you get the idea. Somebody just installed whatever older fan they bought. That paper tag on the righthand one is not a JEEP factory part number. My 97, 99, and 01 AW-4 fans all look like the left hand one.

Oh okay. Well atleast that makes a little more sense to me. I'm gathering that from the way the front end looks, this jeep was in a little more than a fender bender. That would back up the mechanical fan shroud missing as well. Well atleast for now. I picked up the shroud from the dealer today, almost $50 after tax! But atleast it's not all brittle and destroyed.

Actually there are three. 93 down, 94-96 and 97 up auxillary fans. The 94-96 is a little better and 97 up the best. If you count the blades between the two earlier ones you can see the diff in blade count.

Sorry but if you had searched for a shrould you could have gotten one new for $20 . A lot of junk yards sell them for more, but some for as little as $5. They also get a little brittle and if you that your jeep to a lot of shops they break them of just throw them away. Why ? Because it's not there car. Happened to me more than once, which is why I always check before I leave the shop. I hate working on my jeep myself, installing parts then having them removed and thrown away. Then hearing , "you don't need that." Just venting , sorry.

Where can you find them new besides the Dealer? I checked with all of my part stored in town and none of them carry it. Cherokee's are limited if any in the junk yards around here.

Carparts.com , ebay or wrecking yard.

Your new fan is the best OEM fan!

the 10 blade S style fan was the best.

Prior to that they used 8 blade S style fans...

And then before that they used the style like you have on the right, with the straight blades. That was the worst.

So congratulations on getting a fan upgrade!

Back