• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid question

silver_s13

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to this so bare with me..... In order to replace the rear shackles on my 86 do I have to remove my rear bumper in order to get the upper bolt out?

silver_s13 said:
I'm new to this so bare with me..... In order to replace the rear shackles on my 86 do I have to remove my rear bumper in order to get the upper bolt out?

FWIW on my 99 I didnt have to remove anything to remove the upper shackle bolt.

i did on my 89 only so i could put a wrench/socket on the nut welded to the inside of the frame. i didnt want it to break loose when i took out the shackle bolt. it also allow access to spray the nut and bolt with pb blaster

i took my bolt out and left it out, i put a nice scratch on my stock shackles, so i figured it was limiting my flex by a very little.
wouldnt hurt to remove it

short answer is no. Unless you break off the welded nut. once you do that it becomes a pain in the ass... so be careful backing those bolts out. Use PB blaster or some other penetrating oil a day or more before you start.

I have already removed the hitch. I wasn't sure if it was a welded nut or not. If its welded then I shouldn't have any problems. Thanks everyone!

Back