• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

builder trackbar?

aaronsxj

NAXJA Forum User
SANY0237-1.jpg

SANY0240-1.jpg

SANY0243-1.jpg

i have a couple questions. the first pic shows the bar as short as it can be, 30inches hole to hole. my jeep measurments for the bar are 28 3/8inches mount to mount, so how much do i cut, 2inches? and where do i weld it at? weld on a little bit of the thread?, screw the nut all the way down and weld under it?, or raise the end peice up and weld under the threads on the smooth end?

thank you.

Chop off the joint on the long piece, rotate it and re-weld. That or cut it and have it re-tapped.

Cut the DOM to the length you need and then weld the threaded bolt to the DOM. I'd say pull the threaded part out of the DOM about an 1/8" so you can weld on the smooth part. It'll be ok if you weld on the threads tho. You'll just loose that little bit of adjustment.

Ramsey said:
Chop off the joint on the long piece, rotate it and re-weld. That or cut it and have it re-tapped.

What? It's not tapped. The end of the dom is made to have the threaded part welded in. Isn't it!?

Ok, I thought it was already put together, but he has yet to actually finish it.

I clearly have no idea.

Not quite sure what you wrote but...

If you're looking to shorten it the best bet would be to cut off what is needed from the longest side and re-thread/tap it. I'm not sure what you need to weld unless you cut it in the middle, or cut off the joint at the end, but then why would you do that when you could re-tap it easily?

Last edited:
lowrange2 said:
What? It's not tapped. The end of the dom is made to have the threaded part welded in. Isn't it!?
I'm not sure... but I'm leaning towards siding with Ramsey's original thoughts as well. To me it looks like the end of the DOM is threaded for adjustment, doesn't look like a tube adapter is going to be used.

Last edited:
No, the threaded part will actually thread in and out of the Johnny Joint. It's not one piece. The threaded parts is meant to be welded to the DOM after it's cut to the proper length. That's why it's a builders tracbar... so it can be modified to the proper length before it's welded up...

The Johnny Joint will thread on and off of the tracbar for adjustment. It's a pretty neat setup. JKS I assume?

cut 2 1/2 to 3 inches off, measure the smooth section of the threaded piece and drill some holes through the tube within that length and plug weld the smooth section in then weld around the base of the threaded section.

just my $.02

Last edited:
Mr.OverKill said:
cut 2 1/2 to 3 inches off, measure the smooth section and drill some holes through the tube and plug weld the smooth section then weld around the threaded base section.

just my $.02

Good idea... That works too... It would be plenty strong.

lowrange2 said:
No, the threaded part will actually thread in and out of the Johnny Joint. It's not one piece. The threaded parts is meant to be welded to the DOM after it's cut to the proper length. That's why it's a builders tracbar... so it can be modified to the proper length before it's welded up...

The Johnny Joint will thread on and off of the tracbar for adjustment. It's a pretty neat setup. JKS I assume?

Ahh, so you're saying that the threaded part is welded to the DOM and then the short end with the JJ threads onto it... I see.

Now that I think of it the way I had thought of it would require two jam nuts... stupid me. :looser: Got to get some rest.

You always want a minumum of 1 thread diameter of contact,figure that out and the bottoming point,and set-up the difference of those 2.That gives you the most amount of +/- adjustability.

the longer tube is not threaded, the shorter joint end holds all the threads for adjustment, and just slides into the longer piece to be welded.

Mr.OverKill said:
cut 2 1/2 to 3 inches off, measure the smooth section of the threaded piece and drill some holes through the tube within that length and plug weld the smooth section in then weld around the base of the threaded section.

just my $.02

how many holes and how big?

adjustable trackbars are made from the most durable components. We start with 1.3125" X .250" 1026 DOM tubing. Next we add our 1.125"-12 threaded assembly for 2.50" of lenght adjustment.

aaronsxj said:
how many holes and how big?
just two, strait through both sides, one top one bottom, unless you have enough material then 4, opposite ( 90* ) of each other. size is around 3/8 to 1/2 in in diameter, what ever you feel safe with welding solid

Back