• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnect Alternator

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it seemed like it wouldn't have been that hard. How do I disconnect the wires to the alternator from a 2001 xj? I know one is held on by a bolt. The other looks like it just pulls out but I can't seem to pull hard enough I guess. By the way, I'm new to NAXJA.

bosco01xj said:
Well, it seemed like it wouldn't have been that hard. How do I disconnect the wires to the alternator from a 2001 xj? I know one is held on by a bolt. The other looks like it just pulls out but I can't seem to pull hard enough I guess. By the way, I'm new to NAXJA.

Your 2001 has a Nippondenso alternator. There are either three (without direct ground) or four (with) wires attached directly to the alternator, and I believe all wires are retained by nuts on studs. I further believe all will take a 10m/m wrench (but don't hold me to that...:wierd: )

Your alternator should look most like the third set of pictures on this page (http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/sjg-id.html.) The stud with the black guard on the top right is your output stud, it is always hot! This is why you should disconnect the battery first... The two studs with the grey surround at the top right are the connections for the field coils - these are only hot with the vehicle running. The ground (if you have it) could be attached to any point they found convenient on the alternator case proper, or to the mounting bracket screws.

Looks like you are trying to pull the wires off and can't figure out the combination lock that holds them on. I can't help you but here is what I do when I am having this problem and I can't get close enough to figure it out. I try to find another wire end somewhere under the hood that has simular combination lock that I can hold in my hand and try to figure that one out and then work on the one that I can't get to. I hate these things and it seems that each engineer has to design a different one for us shadetree mechanics to try to figure out.

Back