• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK D44 swap

razdrvr

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at an article last night on the JK D44 complete assy. from Mopar. Complete new assemblies at around $1400 is way cheaper than Currie or anyone else. I'm basiclly just looking for opinions on the total expense/value of this swap.

You would have to cut off all the brackets then weld on new brackets that fit the XJ.

Also, there was just a thread on here with someone asking about the JK front D44, and it linked to another forum, showing how the JK axle tubes were breaking in the same place on a few of the Rubicons.

falcon1235 said:
you should be able to get the same axle from a mopar for a TJ rubicon 03-06 i believe
But its not a real d44, its a d44/30 hybrid, utilizing d30 knuckles, unit bearings, and outer shafts.

I believe the JK doesn't do this, but I'm not 100%.

Begster said:
But its not a real d44, its a d44/30 hybrid, utilizing d30 knuckles, unit bearings, and outer shafts.

I believe the JK doesn't do this, but I'm not 100%.

and it is also prone to failure when actually wheeled. to be worth anything they need to be retubed, I have seen many occasions where the tubes actually fail and crack in half, they are like only 1/8" wall tube

main.php

IGP1055.JPG

rockwerks said:
and it is also prone to failure when actually wheeled. to be worth anything they need to be retubed, I have seen many occasions where the tubes actually fail and crack in half, they are like only 1/8" wall tube

Yes, as stated in my first post.

So it's looking like a no go.

You've got to remove the brackets and put on a new ones anyways, just truss it before installing XJ brackets. It's still a good builder axle to start with for the price.

falcon1235 said:
you should be able to get the same axle from a mopar for a TJ rubicon 03-06 i believe

TJ rubi = low pinion 44 center with 30 outers and tubes

JK rubi = high pinion 44 with 32 spline stubs, full crossover steering

xj92 said:
You've got to remove the brackets and put on a new ones anyways, just truss it before installing XJ brackets. It's still a good builder axle to start with for the price.

The metal is brittle and not up to standards, adn a truss might help for awhile but I dont want to trust my life to marginal housing, the only way to do it correctly would be to retube it correctly

I just had a long talk with Cal about this...

You have to cut off the brackets anyway.

Taking his advice why not sleeve and retube it...you'd have to do the same if you want your D30 to stand up to some abuse.

I'm planning on this route when I have the money.

Thats not *exactly* what I said.

It is however, what I would do if I were starting over from scratch. And its what I did to my d30..

MoparManiac said:
I just had a long talk with Cal about this...

You have to cut off the brackets anyway.

Taking his advice why not sleeve and retube it...you'd have to do the same if you want your D30 to stand up to some abuse.

I'm planning on this route when I have the money.

Oh I forgot Cal = GOD LOL.

sleeve and retube? Just cut the knuckles off, and the center housing remove the old tube and retube with 3/8" wall the correct way, why half ass the job

cal said:
Thats not *exactly* what I said.

It is however, what I would do if I were starting over from scratch. And its what I did to my d30..

Sorry wasn't trying to quote you just throwing the basic idea out there.

rockwerks said:
Oh I forgot Cal = GOD LOL.

sleeve and retube? Just cut the knuckles off, and the center housing remove the old tube and retube with 3/8" wall the correct way, why half ass the job

I was just saying he pointed something out to me. I apologize if it came off as me claiming him as a god, but he has a lot more experience than I do.

Yeah sleeve and retube was me typing before thinking lol.

I have a 4wd hardware cherokee guide, and they have front dana 44's for XJ's in it. It says they are for 84-01 XJ's but doesn't say if it is HP or LP.

its probably the 03-06 rubicon 44 front, which is low pinion.

There is a rumor of a south america high pinion 44 xj front axle, but go find one..

Back