• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running rich on start

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
When my jeep (98 4.0 aw4) is warmed up, it idles ~800rpm and uses .8-.9 gallons per hour of fuel. However, after a cold start itll be at 1.5gpm till I start driving it around. I let it warm up for a minute today, and drove a couple hundred feet and it got into closed loop mode (at least according to the scangauge) before the water temp hit 100F. Any ideas? Im assuming its an open loop thing when cold. Maybe MAP or IAT? MAP is 6-6.5psia and if I open all the way when engine off its 14.5psia so all seems well. IAT shows ambient before start as well. Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure of the exact specifics, but yes, it is normal for it to run more rich when in open loop...which is why those who drive extreme short distances, to where the engine is barely getting warmed up all way (if at all) experience really crappy gas mileage.

Back