• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trac bar question

fattypackard

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a stupid question that I should know the answer to, but I figured I'd get another opinion or two first.

Long story short I have to replace my trac-bar

I have an extra one, but its for a stock cherokee from advanced auto

mine has about 6 inches of lift.

will the one from advanced auto work or should i just get an adjustable one for a lift.

reason i ask is because i kind of need to fix it today and dont want to wait for a day or two for one to come in the mail.

another option is could i just replace the joint at the frame?

thanks for the help

No, don't put the stock one on. Its not adjustable, and the ball joint ont he end will be maxed out I'm sure. The axle will not sit centered under the vehicle if you use this.

I think with 6 inches of lift, you should have a trackbar that doesn't have a ball joint.

if u have one that has a tie rod on it that unthreads just take the tie rod to the parts store and get a new one, but I would try to mark the old one to get it back where it was

can a trac bar be lengthened reliably? like, cut it somewhere where it's straight, and sleeve it with some tubing?

tayman said:
can a trac bar be lengthened reliably? like, cut it somewhere where it's straight, and sleeve it with some tubing?

Only if you can weld reliably.

I have a shortened Rubicon Express track bar on my junk.

I just shortened my RE trackbar by cutting out a section and putting in a section of tubing that just fit inside the original tubing. I then drilled 4 holes on each side of the split and plug welded the outer tube to the inner tube and welded up the seam. If you can grind it down cleanly (I couldn't) it will look like nothing was done.

eh, might as well get a better, beefed up one...

hahahahahahaha

well, at least ya got it fixed... you mind posting up that number? I may need to get mine replaced on my rough country trac bar.....

haha, thanks.

Back