• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

318 swap

greendeere

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to swap in a 318 for my thrashed 4.0 is there anything that would help me with this? i.e tech help, such as will it bolt up to my stock tranny, or even would this be good idea?

Its not going to bolt up to your stock trans. It's going to take alot of work and even more money. I don't know too much but your better off rebuilding and maybe stroking if you want more power.

easy to do.
2523955_84_full.jpg

Break down what it costed me.
-350 for a stock rolled 93 Grand cherokee
+200 sell stuff on ebay
+150 for scrap steel
-160 for new radatior and fans
Free is my time
Total is 160 bucks if you need a new radatior.

Some more info on the swap
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523955/2

I had it done in about week an half. Which was mostly working on it at night 4 to 5 hours at the most. But I didn't work on every night. I think if I had to do it again had both motors out I could do in a weekend. But would a 8 am to 10 at night days.

It was the 46rh stocker out of the Grand cherokee. I recently blew reverse out of it last weekend. I guess 33" going threw 2 feet of slopping snow with stock gears was to much.

I sad to say that I might not have an xj in about a month depending on one thing today.

A transmission from an 93-95 grand cherokee that known to be good working order and is less than 400 bucks.

I haven't gone yet but I know some one got a 96 grand cherokee limited for sale. Depending on how good of shape the body is and how well it runs will decide. I can't used the tranny that in it unless I rewire my jeep again so I going build a Zj instead of Xj.

I plan on keeping alot the drivetrain from mine but I'm willing to sell the harness that in my to make a magnum motor run in a renix body. If anyone interested lmk know I get more detail to you.

Also have the modified radatior hoses and the grands motor mounts.

Thanks for the help. It is not a question of if it is a good idea anymore but what it will take me to do it. I sent the rods and part of the crank into the engine block last night. I have a turbo 350 tranny to put behind it and I think that advance adapaters sells something to mate it up.

5.2poweredxj said:
A transmission from an 93-95 grand cherokee that known to be good working order and is less than 400 bucks.

I haven't gone yet but I know some one got a 96 grand cherokee limited for sale. Depending on how good of shape the body is and how well it runs will decide. I can't used the tranny that in it unless I rewire my jeep again so I going build a Zj instead of Xj.

I plan on keeping alot the drivetrain from mine but I'm willing to sell the harness that in my to make a magnum motor run in a renix body. If anyone interested lmk know I get more detail to you.

Also have the modified radatior hoses and the grands motor mounts.

Have you checked the yards around your area? How close is this? Calumet Auto Parts - QRP Partner ARAPro USA-WI(Milwaukee) 1-800-215-6500
They say they have one. Stock #YB1056 for $370

5.2poweredxj said:
easy to do.
2523955_84_full.jpg

Break down what it costed me.
-350 for a stock rolled 93 Grand cherokee
+200 sell stuff on ebay
+150 for scrap steel
-160 for new radatior and fans
Free is my time
Total is 160 bucks if you need a new radatior.

Some more info on the swap
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523955/2

How hard would that be to do on a 5 speed 98? Just wonderin', mine just started puffin blue somke when pushed a little harder than usual(300 000km plus). Just getting ready for the enivitable, and besides a little more HP never hurt anyone, eh?

Phil :canada:

SgtJCJ said:
Have you checked the yards around your area? How close is this? Calumet Auto Parts - QRP Partner ARAPro USA-WI(Milwaukee) 1-800-215-6500
They say they have one. Stock #YB1056 for $370

Milwaukee is about 220 miles from me. I've already bought the GC turns out it is a 94 instead of 96. So I could keep building my falling apart Xj or build a very nice option out Zj. Drove it home tonight average about 65 on the way home. I guess it been sitting for 2 years.

As for a 5 speed behind the 318 should be fun. Haven't mess with 4wd 5 speeds before.

Back