• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the forum

DrunKnWeezL

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the NW guys here on this forum. I grew up in Corvallis and while my travels have taken me to several different states I ended up back here after being gone almost 20 years. Ive also owned in the neighborhood of 50 different vehicles including several 4 wheelers, but this is my first Jeep (well ok second, but my first one is a parts car).

I picked up a 2wd scout that I used to get from TX back to Oregon, then hit a lamp pole at a Fred Meyers in the dark and rain and bend the frame where the radiator sits. I decided to make it a parts car since it was pretty hammered anyway. I then picked up this Cherry 90 Laredo 4x4.

DSCF1948.JPG

DSCF1950.JPG

DSCF1951.JPG

Today I pulled the rock crawlers off my sport and had Schwabs mount my Toyos on em. Im gonna need a bit of a lift and perhaps some flare modification, But this jeep is a DD with plans for only light trail rides. My sport may get 4x4 transplant and get more serious with it since I dont care about it and it still has only 107k on the running grear.
Here is the "Lucky" with her new wheels. (I name all my vehicles and this one got its name from the licence plate that contains "777")

DSCF1952.JPG

Anyway, I need to get a few more things done to her and would love to go on an easy trail ride sometime if there is one close by. So here is my official Hidey Ho! :patriot:

I cant see the pics cause im posting from my phone. But id like to fling you a hidie ho right back.

Welcome.

That is a VERY clean looking XJ!!

Michael

Yeah, the Jeep was woman owned for the last few years and taken good care of. I managed to steal it for under $1k and have only added the wheels which I had and swapped the shocks off my sport as well. I made the steering wheel cover myself and hand laced it on the wheel. Other than that only cleaning and fluid changes have been done.

I would like to add a low budget lift here real soon. 2" should be enough to keep the tires from hitting the flares. I'm debating between wimping out and buying one, or junkyarding my own.

Any members in Corvallis or Albany want to chime in here? Im hoping to find a service buddy to exchange some labor with. I have decent tools and am a pretty good mechanic. I was pretty well known on Supramania as a master of the budget mods. ;)

DrunKnWeezL said:
Yeah, the Jeep was woman owned for the last few years and taken good care of. I managed to steal it for under $1k and have only added the wheels which I had and swapped the shocks off my sport as well. I made the steering wheel cover myself and hand laced it on the wheel. Other than that only cleaning and fluid changes have been done.

I would like to add a low budget lift here real soon. 2" should be enough to keep the tires from hitting the flares. I'm debating between wimping out and buying one, or junkyarding my own.

Any members in Corvallis or Albany want to chime in here? Im hoping to find a service buddy to exchange some labor with. I have decent tools and am a pretty good mechanic. I was pretty well known on Supramania as a master of the budget mods. ;)

You didn't say what size the new tires are? 31's?
I think I would plan on a full 3" lift instead of the budget 1 3/4" or 2".
At the junkyard you can pick up either dakota spring pack's or S-10 spring pack's to get you to the 3" mark, or mix and match with a AAL (stifer) or longer hanger (softer). Any of them will work independantly or together (Search the tech forum's for more details).
For the front I would get a new or used set of coils ($100) give or take depending on brand and age.

Doing the kit is probably going to run you about $500 depending on brand. Both the Junkyard and the full kit can serve you well, it just depends on what is worth more to you, time or money.

Searching on the tech forums should give you enough ideas to keep you reading for a long time ;)

Michael

The tires are only 235-75/15 Toyo Open Country's. I would go a full 3" but Im trying to avoid all the extras that go with that (shocks etc.) I found a 2" kit that consists of a spacer up front and a new leaf pack in the back, and shock pin conversions for under $200. Im thinking Im going that route at this point. This is really just a DD that I want to look decent.

Yeah, Ive been reading alot since I came here. Pretty much read the FAQ section top to bottom, and been searching for info on lifts/axles/mods/etc.
I think I have a few weeks before Im up to speed.

Thanks for the welcome mat!

Welcome I'm over here in Lebanon a few minutes away. If ya need any parts let me know... will be heading out to philomath to check out a parts rig friday..
Oh and I have an AAL 3 in pack collecting dust... get some front coils shock extensions (5.99) I used random rear shocks much cheaper than wasting money on a BB.. my first lift cost me 5.99+ free shocks+ free f-250 coils+ 5.99 center pin+1 in square tubing tc drop.. and a 3/4 ton chevy mix matched with jeep top leaf pack.. lol.. got me 4 inches and minus the coils it flexed-drove great.

Last edited:
DrunKnWeezL said:
The tires are only 235-75/15 Toyo Open Country's. I would go a full 3" but Im trying to avoid all the extras that go with that (shocks etc.) I found a 2" kit that consists of a spacer up front and a new leaf pack in the back, and shock pin conversions for under $200. Im thinking Im going that route at this point. This is really just a DD that I want to look decent.

Yeah, Ive been reading alot since I came here. Pretty much read the FAQ section top to bottom, and been searching for info on lifts/axles/mods/etc.
I think I have a few weeks before Im up to speed.

Thanks for the welcome mat!

with the 235's you are correct. The 2" budget boost should work just fine. The tires looked larger than that in the photo.

On the other hand. The shocks are probably shot, the leaf pack could be, the front coil is probably drooping. Just something to consider.

Also, there are two "standard" budget boosts. AAL and Shackle.
The AAL will help support the older rear leaves, the shackle will help destroy the older rear leaves. Choose wisely :jester:

Michael

hey you forgot they changed, they no longer say NI! (and no now i cant remember what they said lol.)

Back