• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Armor????

I emailed the info link and they sent a little info back. I asked him about rocklizard and they said their products will be slightly different, the biggest difference being a flare similar to what Poison Spyder uses for YJ, TJ stuff.

Thats always been the big thing for me is the flare. It gives it a more finished look and the bushwackers are nothing but plastic eye candy.

They hope to have the rear quarters available by September 1.

I guess I pestered enough and got this back this evening

Ok, I give. We've posted a picture here www.slickrockgear.com/mockedfender.html for everyone to see. Please remember that there have been some adjustments but you get the picture. There's also a write up regarding materials, style, and price. We'd like to hear any comments or questions anyone might have. They'll be available through our on-line store hopefully late next week, we're accepting Visa, MC, AMEX, and Discover.

I'm also considering offering a special in the first month, the first 10 or 20 quarters will get $75 off. Email us at [email protected].

Thanks for your interest.

I was first on the list.

IF, they could pull something off like that 'consistantly'....they
may have something, but it would interfere with a number of
rear bumper set-ups as well......I can think of 5 different brands
right now.

What about those that have/are planning on trimming further? Will they have larger openings available? And will they have some type of extention available to allow them to stick out further? In some states the fender must stick out further than the tread of the tire. It would be great if they could could work out some type of removable or flexible extention that would allow for coverage.

I still don't think they are a great product. I don't really care for screws as they'll strip out the moment you try to remove them. I'm kinda hesitant about the flare. It looks like that if you catch it on something, you're buying another side panel rather than ripping the flare off. If you dent the flare, you're gonna run into problems trying to hammer it back straight as it will probably bend the side panel up in the process. I donno, it looks cool, but I'm still very sketchy on it. And as mentioned before, what if you don't have enough clearance with that set up? your only options are to either cut the flare off (which would leave you with a more expensive version of PMW's or Rock Lizards) or to go higher causing a higher COG and a much tippier rig. I just am not convinced that this would be the best way to go for a crawling rig. Now for a rig that does mud or snow or desert racing that would require little flex (desert might not be so great unless you stuck the tires in the body and tubbed it), this might be a wonderful product. I guess someone's gonna have to pony up and spend the dough to show us all! NOT IT!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this might not be for everyone. However, let me address your concerns.

If you're going to cut any further on the rear you'll need to fabricate a new inner wheel well. Two styles will be available, one that will include that rear box behind the wheel, and one that stops at that body line for those who have cut and tucked that box up underneath. We'll be offering 6" wide flares also for those in states where the flare covering the tire is an issue.

Fasteners are stainless bolts, with nuts and large fender washers on the inside, not self tapping screws.

The flare is 3/16" plate steel. I don't see it bending but if it does, let us know the circumstances and we'll address it. As far as getting hooked on something, it could happen, but if your running rock rails I don't see it getting hooked on anything.

This may or may not be for everyone but its something that can be used. Everything is destructable to some degree. My issue was that a stick on a trail (1.5") tore off the Bushwackers and we wanted something more substantial. We've seen Rockwells break, chromolly axles shafts that were cryogenically frozen break and connecting rods thrown through a big block chevy, point being nothing is completely indestructible. :wave:

merlintocherokee said:
I've been floating around and finally registered. While hunting some body armor I stumbled upon this today....www.slickrockgear.com Anyone ever heard of these people or better yet, does anyone make side armor for cherokees?
merlintocherokee said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this might not be for everyone. However, let me address your concerns.

If you're going to cut any further on the rear you'll need to fabricate a new inner wheel well. Two styles will be available, one that will include that rear box behind the wheel, and one that stops at that body line for those who have cut and tucked that box up underneath. We'll be offering 6" wide flares also for those in states where the flare covering the tire is an issue.

Fasteners are stainless bolts, with nuts and large fender washers on the inside, not self tapping screws.

The flare is 3/16" plate steel. I don't see it bending but if it does, let us know the circumstances and we'll address it. As far as getting hooked on something, it could happen, but if your running rock rails I don't see it getting hooked on anything.

This may or may not be for everyone but its something that can be used. Everything is destructable to some degree. My issue was that a stick on a trail (1.5") tore off the Bushwackers and we wanted something more substantial. We've seen Rockwells break, chromolly axles shafts that were cryogenically frozen break and connecting rods thrown through a big block chevy, point being nothing is completely indestructible.
Did you just magically go from not knowing anything about the company to being one of them?:confused1 :rolleyes: :laugh3:

Anyway, the comment I made about wanting to trim further was based on how it looked in the one pic of the mocked set up. While it is a good general pic of the product, it's not a good picture at all to show clearance. I know on my rig I cut and folded the pinch seam and from the rear door opening to the farthest protruding fold just above my rocker I've got about one inch left. I went far enough so that it's even with my rockers (box tube) but if I didn't have that to go by I would have gone about another 1/2". It just looked to me like there was more than that left in the pic.

I agree that more pics would be great!

Awesome! I don't know about the product a whole lot, but its always great to have a manufacture who listens to the people who actually uses the gear. Looks to be promising and should help a ton of guys out. I'm not convinced I'd like it, but KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!!!

53guy said:
Awesome! I don't know about the product a whole lot, but its always great to have a manufacture who listens to the people who actually uses the gear. Looks to be promising and should help a ton of guys out. I'm not convinced I'd like it, but KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!!!
x2

But like I said, needs more pics! :D

merlintocherokee said:
I've been floating around and finally registered. While hunting some body armor I stumbled upon this today....www.slickrockgear.com Anyone ever heard of these people or better yet, does anyone make side armor for cherokees?

I saw that but thought it was ugly and overpriced. It's thicker but couldn't justify $500. I went with Simply Offroad instead. I'm waiting on 1/4 guards and door rocker armor currently. I got both for $368 shipped.

doorguards.jpg

upper4.jpg

arsonlvr said:
is trail head off road (thor4x4.com) no longer in business? they used to have some pretty nice quarter protection.

I sent an email to Mike at Trailhead Offroad....something is wrong with their site. They gave away a set of guards at our club's Meet & Greet a few weeks ago and, with pricing under $295 a set including tail light boxes, they're hard to beat. There are several guys in our club running them and they work really well. They are 3/16", all stainless hardware, set up for standard sizes in LED or incandescent lights. They've got 97+ available now as well and if I'm not mistaken, Avanteone, a red member here, is an authorized reseller through his shop. Drop him a PM if you're interested.

Here's a photo of mine:

Evans2006014.jpg

Back