• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear mainseal help

is the crank wore at all where the seal seats? Any knicks in it? Make sure your oil pan isnt leaking, Could also just be a seal that was bent or bad...

Its suppose to leak its a option on most XJs basically AMC and CryCo wanted a Jeep that changes its own oil, all you have to do is change the oil filter every 3k.

My still leaks. I think the secret is being gentle and using hand soap on the oil and air sides of the seal. Then some RTV black on the flat surface of the cap and block with a dot on where the seals contact. Thats what I did on the motor Im building now so hopefully no leaks on start up.

alright, i just went through all of this. ive never had such poor luck with any of my I6s as i have had with this xj. (previously owned 2 amcs, both with the 4.2, basicly a carbed 4.0 with longer crank and a smaller bore) when i replaced my rear main seal, the first one was only a single lip. it leaked again. my second one was a double lip, but i found that my one piece oil pan gasket (awesome, but a pain to put in right) had actually came out of place around the rear main, cutting the corner of the U shaped piece that goes around it. the last time i did the rear main, i soaked the seal halves in oil for a couple days (was only supposed to be a couple of hours, but things got out of hand away from the jeep) then when i actually replaced the seal, had a friend hold the pan gasket up from the back corners, making sure the rear half loop of the pan gasket sat IN THE GROOVE. then i lifted the pan. all in all, with me doing all the work alone, took me 3.5 hours. not fun, but its like getting a shot. just say fuck it and do the damn thing. mines been leak free for a few days now, if it was gonna leak i think it would have by now. i took it out muddin the next day to celebrate. good luck

Back